Author Topic: eBay Sale of a parted out 73 TC Special  (Read 2890 times)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
eBay Sale of a parted out 73 TC Special
« on: Tuesday,January 15, 2013, 12:24:11 PM »
I followed the sale on eBay of the completely parted out 73 Europa Special last night. Almost every part sold. Looks like the guy got $12,804 for all the parts. This confirms that the sum of the parts is worth more the car. Did anyone get any of the parts? I picked up some misc bits, but nothing of real value. I was surprised that some of the parts went for more than new prices.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline cal44

Re: eBay Sale of a parted out 73 TC Special
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,January 15, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »
Joe.........parts whore that I am.......I bought the up rear bearing housings.  I could be wrong.........but I don't think those have been made in a while.  Someone beat me out of the hubs.............lousy creep!!!  I should have purchased the trailing arms as well.

Did the frame sell?.....and the engine?  I sure was thinking on that frame.  I think it required pickup.  Come to think of it he was selling an entire body............it was just screaming to me.......all al-lu-min-i-um V8 Rover/Buick.  Ya........like I don't have enough on my plate.
Still looking for my 911.............
Mike
« Last Edit: Wednesday,January 16, 2013, 07:42:14 AM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,January 15, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
I thought the bearing housings were sold as a pair.

The frame sold for 399.99 and the engine just over $2,000.00 The body did not sell as well as the window frames.

If you got both housings I would like to scan them if possible.

I just got a Romer 3D scanner

If I could scan the housing I can probably have them made at a reasonable cost.

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,January 16, 2013, 05:41:38 AM »
I *meant* to bid on those, but forgot. Oh well...
On a related note- there was a 73 or 74 Europa listed on ebay early this morning. Located San Fransico. Looked good cond. Not ran in a while, lots of add ons including rear disks. Starting bid of $1000. BUY IT NOW of $2000.
Gone after a hour or so, not in completed auctions. Guess seller realized he made a mistake in price.

Offline cal44

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,January 16, 2013, 06:10:02 AM »
Joe, yes sold as a pair, I just fixed my idiotic writings.  You with more toys, gotta' love it.

Mike
« Last Edit: Wednesday,January 16, 2013, 07:42:55 AM by cal44 »
United States Marines

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,January 16, 2013, 06:59:26 AM »
I got the oil gauge and amps gauge, just to have extras. I tried to get the seat belt buckles and sill chrome strips but couldn't get them... These parts are all I need to finish my project so it looks all original! Made me mad that I couldn't get them. If any of you guys have these parts I'd like to buy them form you.

I don't like how he parted the car out, yes he got more money but still... He had a whole car that he could have restored in my opinion.

Offline 3929R

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,January 16, 2013, 08:00:01 AM »
$12,800 net (ignoring shipping).  eBay fees are generally 9% of the total sale (including shipping with a max of $250 per auction).  So maybe roughly $1,200 in fees (don't know the total with shipping). 
$12,800 - $1,200 = $11,600

How much was the car worth whole?
How much time does it take to disassemble a Europa; cleanup, photograph, and list all the parts; and box and mail them?

NADA:
Low- $7,300   Average- $14,600   High- $30,800

Hagerty:
Condition 4*- $10,100      Condition 3*- $15,300     Condition 2- $21,600    Condition 1- $32,800

What condition was this car in before dissection and what would it have taken to make it an average or Condition 3 car?  At average retail/ condition 3 the seller lost money.  The car had minor fiberglass damage but it ran and appeared to be more complete than most (it even had the pre-heater tubes from the intake to exhaust manifold).  This completeness might have brought more $.

If the car was condition 4, the seller made $1,500 vs. selling whole.  IF it took 30 hours (I've no idea) to disassemble; cleanup, photograph, and list all the parts; and box and mail them; then he made $50/hr.  If it took 40 hours, $37.50/hr....  Of course, the seller still has some parts to unload...

#3 cars could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 car, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior. #3 cars drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These cars are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 car.

#4 cars are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the fender has a minor dent. The interior could have split seams or a cracked dash. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or the interior might not be stock. A #4 car can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 car.

Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline katanaman

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,January 16, 2013, 08:58:30 PM »
Seeing the prices some of this stuff went for was a little intimidating.  Some sales seemed really high, and I hope that this doesn't start a new trend.  I tried on a few items as well.  I am wondering what the lump in the rear trunk was all about.  Mine has a square hole in it!  I can't imagine what that was all about, either!  I  hope that all of this puts a few Europas back on the road soon...                                                            Dan

Offline cal44

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,January 22, 2013, 05:39:28 AM »
After working with other marques and used parts for decades..........the prices for these Europa parts where cheap.  When there is NLA parts involved I get weak in the knees.  I do believe more and more Europa and Elan parts are going to manufactured.  But, until then............

United States Marines

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,January 22, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
  I am wondering what the lump in the rear trunk was all about.  Mine has a square hole in it!  I can't imagine what that was all about, either!
I *think* it is a owner modification for altenator clearance. On my car, the original altenator was tight against the (replacement) bin.
I've been known to be wrong before though.
andyh

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,January 26, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
i went to a guys house today parting out a 74.  i showed up at 10:30 left at 12:15.  the whole time i was there the phone NEVER stopped ringing with offers on parts.

i was left speechless

made me think about the 10 cases of parts i have crated up in the storage unit.... 

Offline CLW

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,January 26, 2013, 07:46:01 PM »
Hey, Do you have a front spoiler!!!