Author Topic: Miles Wilkins Twin Cam book reprint ?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Miles Wilkins Twin Cam book reprint ?
« on: Monday,October 29, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »
Hi folks,

I know some of you have TC cars so this might be of interest. Someone on the Elan forum has found that the Miles Wilkins book is to be reprinted, and what's more it looks like November this year !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lotus-Twin-Cam-Engine-Miles-Wilkins/dp/1855209683/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1351529994&sr=8-5

There's no indication if this is a revised edition so there's likely to be some dated info there but it's still worth the £20 or so for a hardcover version, especially seeing the prices s/h ones go for on Ebay.

Brian
« Last Edit: Monday,October 29, 2012, 02:52:14 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Miles Wilkins Twin Cam book reprint ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,October 30, 2012, 05:12:57 AM »
Woohoo!! Many thanks for the 'heads up', Brian. Got to get me one of those. :pirate:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,October 30, 2012, 09:46:18 AM »
Yep, definitely worth the £20 or so, if only for the reference material Miles added to the basic overhaul methods from the OEM manual.

I was always skeptical of the value at the £100 they seemed to fetch on Ebay, but this is a realistic price. Any TC owner really ought to get an advance order in because I bet it sells out again.

Offline cal44

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,October 30, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
I ordered mine today.  I have one, but for the price, I can afford to have a garage edition. 

Mike

"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,October 30, 2012, 11:23:55 PM »
I ordered mine today.  I have one, but for the price, I can afford to have a garage edition. 

Mike
I agree with you Mike. I'd prefer (and pay the same) for an electronic copy so that I could just print out pages, but at £20 I might as well have another dead-tree copy in the workshop as well. At least then I wont get black looks as I wander through the house in my overalls to check something out.
Brian

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,November 01, 2012, 11:43:33 PM »
Arrghhh  ! I logged on to Amazon today and see that instead of "released on 1st Nov 2012" it now says "one or two months delivery".  I checked on the Brooklands Books website and they have it down as a November release but no other details.

Has anyone managed to get a copy of this reprint or has it a) not actually been published yet, or b) immediately sold out ?

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #6 on: Friday,November 02, 2012, 07:06:39 AM »
The Amazon here in the states claims around Dec. 20  2012 is the available date.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline 3929R

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,November 15, 2012, 06:09:57 AM »
I believe it is now available from Amazon UK, but will cost about $50 if shipped to the USA.  If ordered from Amazon USA, it costs $33.63 with free SH but isn't available to ship till Dec 30.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Thursday,November 15, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »
Update - well, mine arrived today. The price had gone up from the original quote by a few pounds but no big deal as I now have my original  "collectors 1st Edition" which I can leave in the bookcase, and a working copy which can follow me around as needed.

So it's real guys and not a figment of my imagination, Miles really has had the book reprinted. Which really does make me wonder why someone on Ebay paid more than twice the amount that Amazon charge for a new, genuine copy last night....    and what's more it appears to be an "illegal" softback copy as well ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130800229661?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649