Author Topic: Hidden Storage Behind Seats  (Read 1708 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Hidden Storage Behind Seats
« on: Saturday,October 27, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »
Some good ideas come from bad circumstances.  I've been working on the interior, stripping everything out, putting in sound deadener and a few other items.  The passenger seat belt anchor was loose, so I investigated and found it had rusted out.  The firewall panel directly behind the passenger seat was also weak.  I cut the panel out and discovered the factory installed material had been cut short and for all these years, water and smootz from the road had free access to the rocker panel and fiberglass backing (1st photo).

I was going to re-glass the panel, when I got a better idea.  I cut a form that fit to the end of the cockpit insert and will be glassing it in.  I'll lay deadening material in and new carpet (2nd photo). 

Result: Instant storage behind the passenger seat.  I'll do the same for the driver's side.

btw... The diamond plate firewall (both sides) frames a window, made from two pieces of 3/8" lexan and an inch and a quarter airspace between.  There will be some form of clamp to hold it in place, and handles on the sides that will allow me to pull it out and work on the front end of the engine compartment.

Let me know what you think... No wrong answer.:)
« Last Edit: Friday,November 02, 2012, 08:33:41 AM by LeftAngle »
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
Re: Hidden Storage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,October 27, 2012, 08:08:40 PM »
An update on today's "discovery" of a good place to store items in the car:

I cut a fiberglass panel to fit the opening, glassed it in with a layer of mat and 2 layers of cloth.  When it set, I went ahead and Dynamatted the space.  And because the area was small and out of the way, I carpeted it.

Large enough to store quite a few small to mid-sized items... Tools, snacks, raincoat and umbrella, maybe even an overnight bag... And there will be two of them. :beerchug:

« Last Edit: Saturday,October 27, 2012, 08:14:26 PM by LeftAngle »

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
Re: Hidden Storage
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,October 28, 2012, 04:34:11 AM »
I'll look around for an elastic net that fits this space.  When I find one, I'll post the details in case anyone wants to follow suit.
« Last Edit: Sunday,October 28, 2012, 09:34:27 PM by LeftAngle »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Hidden Storage Behind Seats
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,October 28, 2012, 05:37:11 AM »
HHmmm... some very interesting developments here. The removable lexan panel is quite innovative and could make servicing some parts of the engine much easier. Extra storage is always good, too, as I like to 'road trip' my Europa. Yes, very interesting indeed. Thanks for posting, and keep em coming. Cheers.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,October 28, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »
If anyone copies this, remember the firewall adds stiffness and strength to the body.  I've replaced what strength I've removed by through-bolting the aluminum plate to both sides (In fact, made it stiffer).  Be sure to do the engineering before cutting pieces of your car away.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 31, 2012, 04:14:00 AM by LeftAngle »

Offline cal44

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,October 30, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »
This LeftAngle guy doesn't mess around. 

I have to do work on the house, walk dogs, do dishes, vacuum, I'm getting tired just thinking about it............I don't get how you guys have time to do all these things to cars.

By the time I am done working.........I'm done in  :headbanger:

LeftAngle, I like your fresh approach to your tasks.  What a dandy Idea about the bulk head removal so you can work on the  front of the engine. 

Mike

"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,October 31, 2012, 04:07:37 AM »
Thanks for your kind words Mike. I spent my career as a product design and developer so thinking of projects from different perspectives must be natural for me.  I guess it transferred to my work on the car.

I have to do work on the house, walk dogs, do dishes, vacuum, I'm getting tired just thinking about it............I don't get how you guys have time to do all these things to cars.

I think the best day of my life was when my wife and I realized how important it was for us to spend our time doing the things we enjoy.   And it's OK to get others to do the other things.  This came about after she convinced me to re-tile a bathroom floor. Both of us were totally miserable for the week it took me to do it.  The floor looks great, but the stress it created was not a pleasant thing and the week it took was wasted.

After altering our philosophy, not only have we been happier, but we get more of the things we love doing accomplished.  We hire others who like working on houses to work on the house.  We traded a dog in for a cat.  Dishes?  We use a dishwasher and when my wife let the housekeeper go and told me I had to vacuum... I got a Roomba.  She took over the dusting and had a whole house filter installed.

Of course, the trash still has to make its way out to the curb and the clothes still have to be washed, but by consciously avoiding "bliss stealers", the percentages are working in our favor.  She reads a book every two days now and I spend most of my time working on the car.  I get tired just thinking about it... But boy, I do love thinking about it.   :)

Thanks again Mike.

btw, Harbor Freight sells 12" x 15" elastic cargo nets for motorcycles that should cover those new storage areas behind the seats quite well.  I'll add photos when they come in.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 31, 2012, 04:25:40 AM by LeftAngle »