Author Topic: Lotus Europa TC steering rack position  (Read 1545 times)

Offline vito84

Lotus Europa TC steering rack position
« on: Friday,May 06, 2016, 08:02:52 AM »
Hi guys

I'm going to reassemble the steering rack on the chassis but I'm not sure if the inclination for the column is right.
Is there any reference to mount it properly? I've also replaced the steering rack gaiters (on the driving side) with the old one because the new one is too big and hits the master cylinder.
Thank you

Vito
https://www.facebook.com/lotuseuropatwincamrestorationproject
Lotus Europa TC
Lotus Elan S2
Lotus Elan +2
Lotus Elise S1
Lotus Esprit S1

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Lotus Europa TC steering rack position
« Reply #1 on: Friday,May 06, 2016, 08:42:31 AM »
You must attach the steering column U/J before fitting the rack into the 2 clamps. I also attach the steering column without the steering wheel and electrics because it is easier to get to the 1/2" bolts under the car, than down the tunnel.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #2 on: Monday,May 09, 2016, 02:51:13 AM »
On fitting the steering column. I split the column (so I just had the lower section), fitted the UJ to the end of the steering column and bolted that up, then fitted that onto the rack and and fitted the clamp bolts from underneath the car. It was tricky but doable. I can't see how you can fit the steering column and attach it to the UJ if the UJ is already fitted on the rack, unless through the front chassis access panel. That's if I understand 4129R correctly.
I am sure i will be enlighten if there is an easier way to do it. 
It looks at the right angle to me by the way.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline buzzer

« Reply #3 on: Monday,May 09, 2016, 06:40:11 AM »
And you should have rubber grommets around the coolant pipes where they go through the chassis. They need to be fitted then you push the pipes through

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK