Author Topic: Battery location  (Read 1133 times)

Offline buzzer

Battery location
« on: Thursday,April 28, 2016, 02:09:11 PM »
I am about to sort out where to fit my battery, which is going to be in the front where the spare wheel would go. Before I fit it appreciate any ideas and what others have done. Whether to fit in the middle low down or to the left further away from the radiator. Also what battery. I recon that minimum it needs to be 25amp hours and crank current of about 250 amps. Looked at racing batteries but the basic halfords one looks good enough hb038. I have one fitted to my Westfield and it's fine. The racing units are heavier or don't have the capacity. The ones I've looked at anyhow.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline jbcollier

Re: Battery location
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,April 28, 2016, 03:08:23 PM »
I put mine exactly opposite the radiator directly behind the LH headlight bucket.  I used an Odyssey PC925.  It's a bit bigger than the more commonly used PC680 but I appreciate the extra reserve capacity.

Offline StephenH

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,April 30, 2016, 03:24:08 AM »
Mine has a small competition style battery fitted (by the previous owner) up in the front luggage area.
Probably not where I would have fitted it myself but has proven trouble free in this location.
I just made up a lightweight cover (not shown) to enclose the terminals so it wasn't likely anything could short and cause unhappiness.

Starting from scratch I would possibly try and fit it similar to what you propose, lower in the vehicle down by the steering rack somewhere.
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline buzzer

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,May 01, 2016, 01:25:36 PM »
Thanks guys. I will probably fit in on the LH side behind the headlight as you suggested job. Still working out what battery to fit.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,May 01, 2016, 10:56:17 PM »
I'd go with the Halfords one Dave. It's cheap, close to the OEM 39ah version and easily available so you can get some progress made. Should you decide later that you really, really need a lighter one it's no big loss and you'll have a spare for the Westie  !

Brian
« Last Edit: Monday,May 02, 2016, 11:11:33 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #5 on: Monday,May 02, 2016, 11:09:28 AM »
When I was as Donnington yesterday I met a guy selling light weight lithium anti gravity batteries.  They were amazing very small very light and can be fitted anywhere at any angle.  Glove box behind the seat endless possibilities.   I was very impressed.

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #6 on: Friday,May 06, 2016, 05:35:15 AM »
I was at Donny on Saturday - spannering on the golf 

I know a couple of people who are using little lithium jump packs. Don't know of anyone relying on them as a sole battery though.

On the subject of batteries, my track toy scirocco has a PC 680 battery. Works well on a high compression 2.0 8v engine. It'll spin it for ages before it goes flat.
« Last Edit: Friday,May 06, 2016, 07:03:05 AM by StrawberryCheesecake »

Offline buzzer

« Reply #7 on: Monday,May 09, 2016, 12:15:04 AM »
Yes seen lithium jump packs they look pretty cool. Suspect they would require a different charging regime to get the best out of them as current car charging is based on lead acids. 

Dave
Dave,