Author Topic: tc bellhousings  (Read 3843 times)

Offline lotus4me

tc bellhousings
« on: Monday,September 14, 2015, 02:21:46 AM »
just to help  fill up my knowledge base [ :FUNNY:]
I notice that the bellhousing for the 336 gearbox may be different from the 352/35 one [two part numbers.... A 074F0005Y
and D074F0005Y]
does anyone know if they ARE different? if so how?
many thanks

fred

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: tc bellhousings
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,September 15, 2015, 07:21:51 AM »
Fred, I'll dig out my spare TC bell housing and take some measurements and pictures on a 336 and a 365 gearbox. I don't think there any significant differences.

Offline lotus4me

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,September 16, 2015, 12:28:11 AM »
thanks joji...
knowing my luck,I'm bound to get the bit that doesn't fit....... ::)

fred

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,September 16, 2015, 10:36:57 AM »
Fred, I don't have anything conclusive to report. This morning I dragged out three Renault trannies for a closer look along with a spare TC bell housing. To be honest, I did not have the ambition to unbolt/bolt the TC bell housing to each tranny. There's like 10-12 bolts holding the bell housing to the tranny. However, I could tell just by eye balling each setup that the three Renault transmission, the 336, 365 and NG3 all have the identical bolt pattern to mate to the TC bell housing.

Both of my bell housings are numbered A074F0005Y. I've always assumed TC bell housings were all identical. I took some pictures that may or may not help.   

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,September 16, 2015, 11:10:12 AM »
I would be really surprised if the Renault tranny mounts to the bell housing would be different since it make sense to standardize. I would also expect that the block side of a Ford motor bell housing would be different for the same reason. I believe that even the Zetec block has the same mounting pattern as the old Kent motors (I don't have one, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong). So it would not surprise me at all that the bell housings would be the same.

Joji, that NG3 looks really clean! Where did you get it? Was it like that when you got it?

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,September 16, 2015, 11:33:54 AM »
BDA,
Yes, the Kent and Zetec share most of the same mounting bolts:

Rod

Offline lotus4me

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,September 17, 2015, 12:38:09 AM »
joji
many thanks for your input and efforts......
I think that I would now be confident that the tc bellhousings, if not identical, would be interchangeable..

rod
interesting too about the zetec......thanks!

fred

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,September 17, 2015, 08:11:32 AM »
Without a side by side comparison between the two bell housings, it would be pretty difficult to discern any differences. My TCS should have the D074F0005Y gearbox but externally, I can't see anything obviously different from the A074F0005Y. If I ever pull the engine out of the TCS this year, I'll do a closer inspection.

BDA, yes the NG3 is brand new, never installed in any car. I stumbled across it a couple of years ago when It was posted for sale in the Yahoo mail list from a relatively local owner. He had it shipped from the UK for project that never got off the ground and he finally decided to get rid of it.

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,September 17, 2015, 08:59:37 AM »
Congratulations on a terrific score on that NG3!!! Are you going to put it in the YBB car?

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,September 17, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
I need to see how the Hewland works out before I decide. It's probably going to go onto my Toyota conversion.

BDA, I believe you are using a NG3 with a cable shifter. Does the NG3 have two selector shafts? One to control the up/down motion and the second for the side to side motion of the shifter?

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,September 17, 2015, 01:15:55 PM »
No, I'm using an NG3 with Richard's shift kit. It requires a side shifter input shaft. Instructions for setting the NG3 for this are here (http://www.greytower.com/jon/lotus/europa/gearbox/gearbox.html). There are a few guys on the yahoo group who worked up cable shifters, but I think they all used the stock rear shifter shaft orientation.

Offline TVrebel

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,October 11, 2022, 11:25:47 AM »
In need of a TC bellhousing. Can anyone help?

William Enzweiler

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,October 11, 2022, 11:37:16 AM »
They seem to occasionally become available but if you can't find a used one, Banks (Lotus Supplies) has claims to have them (https://www.lotus-supplies.com/?s=bell+housing&post_type=product). I think they are new castings.