Author Topic: S2 Wanted  (Read 2846 times)

Offline BDA

Re: S2 Wanted
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,September 10, 2015, 05:19:17 AM »
72000 miles!!! That's the second highest mileage Europa I've heard of. Many years ago I read about an S2 with something like 250K on it.

Meet the 3rd highest then BDA.....   :)

Mine had 50k fully documented miles on it when I bought it in the 80s and it was used daily until around '94, '95 so I must be getting somewhere around there.  Sadly I don't know the real numbers, I had at least two occasions when I couldn't replace the speedo cable (actually getting one, not just fitting it) for a few months and I re-set the (2nd) speedo when I put it all back together in the early 2000's.  But I'm sure it's done at least 70K on this engine/gearbox/body. 

I now wish I'd documented mileages better, but back then I never bothered. I do have a good service history and an impressive collection of bills though  ;)
Congratulations, Brian! It does a heart good to know that that these cars are actually driven and not just garage queens. My intention was for mine to be a daily driver when I set out to rebuild it and I drive it at pretty much every opportunity, but it still doesn't add up to many miles so far.

Offline 3929R

« Reply #16 on: Thursday,September 10, 2015, 06:50:50 AM »
There is a T/C on eBay at the moment worth watching: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1972-LOTUS-EUROPA-TWIN-CAM-72000-miles-Unrestored-example-FSH-/161817317952?hash=item25ad105240

It looks like it has a ragtop. I wish there were some pictures of the top.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #17 on: Thursday,September 10, 2015, 09:40:01 AM »
I am prepared to accept that I may have been a bit hasty but I loved the back story, see Europa restoration 2015

and

According to my research it will be one of only two surviving 5 stage ELSE Europas.  I really don't know yet how much it might be worth but for me it is all about the challenge.

Actually, I think you got a great deal. Apart from the ELSE connection what you'll end up with is a 100% restoration and you don't actually find many in that class.  But it's not about the deal, the cost or whatever, it's about pleasure and a hobby. In the great economics of life, hobbies don't count......

Brian
ps - If it's any consolation I paid £4,600 for mine in the 80s at a time when most were selling at £3k.  Never regretted it for a minute.....   the best meccano set a boy can have  ::)