Author Topic: Radiator Hose ID  (Read 443 times)

Offline europa88

• Europa88
Re: Radiator Hose ID
« Reply #15 on: Friday,August 05, 2022, 08:26:24 AM »
An update on the EWP80 Davies Craig electric water pump install. I may have condemned it too early. I disconnected the power and did some tests, albeit at a lowly 22 degrees C. It appears that at a steady 2k rpm there is absolutely no difference in the way the fan is able to control the rising temps and temps increased a few degrees the same as when the the pump was working, although very slowly. This was tested stationary with no ambient airflow. I know with airflow of 20MPH or more there is no issue whatsoever and the engine runs mid to high 80's with out drama.
So at idle though with the pump hooked up and working alongside the fan by the Davies Craig controller, it only takes 1.58 mins from fan kicking in at 92 degrees C to bring it down to 86 degrees C. Without the pump it takes just under 5 minutes so some definite benefits there.
Time to road test as I was previously concerned the Twink water pump was interfering with the DC pump and causing cavitation. The road test today of some 25 miles at an ambient temp of 25 degrees C proved that its perfectly fine and the DC pump did not appear to restrict the OEM one. All in all I was happy but it is yet to be tested in higher temps like we had in the UK a couple of weeks ago. I will also wire it on a timer to run after shutdown to mitigate heat-soak.
If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #16 on: Friday,August 05, 2022, 09:14:23 AM »
Maybe I missed it but just wondering why you are using the EWP80 as an auxiliary water pump rather than as a stand alone unit. Have you tried to disconnect the mechanical pump (remove belt) and just use the DC pump by itself and see the results?

Offline europa88

• Europa88
« Reply #17 on: Saturday,August 06, 2022, 08:35:51 AM »
I may do that at some point later. At the moment the OEM pump has only done about 10k miles so is relatively in good order. It was just to avoid what I thought at the time was a need to rev the engine to push coolant around in traffic  ;D. I'm not unhappy with the result,  it just didn't turn out how I expected. Oh and I already had a basic DC fan controller with 2 fan outputs (or 1 fan and an EWP) If I changed to a full time EWP I would need the updated controller...more bucks  ;D
« Last Edit: Saturday,August 06, 2022, 09:13:50 AM by europa88 »
If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver.