Author Topic: Steering column TCS  (Read 543 times)

Offline kram350kram

Steering column TCS
« on: Saturday,February 27, 2021, 03:02:30 PM »
Any tips on removing the inner steering column from the outer?  Thanks

Offline jbcollier

Re: Steering column TCS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,February 27, 2021, 05:31:43 PM »
I don't remember it being difficult.  Clean up the shaft before trying to remove it.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,February 27, 2021, 05:38:01 PM »
There is an “impact” clamp that must be loosened first.

Offline HelpMyLotus

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,February 27, 2021, 06:39:31 PM »
Do you need one?  I have a TCS steering column I don't need.  em me at marklooman at comcast.net

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,February 27, 2021, 06:42:53 PM »
Mine is one of the few things that have come apart with no issue.
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #5 on: Saturday,February 27, 2021, 10:07:02 PM »
I failed to get mine apart, still fitted to car ( UK TCS so older S2 style stalks and wheel centre horn push). I still haven't but will be revisiting at some point as I suspect bushes are worn (horn will sound if wheel is twisted - think cornering sharply and bracing yourself on wheel, or when steering at slow speeds when reversing and twisted round in seat).
With hindsight:_
(1) I didn't remove the clip for self cancelling the indicators. I'm not sure how easy this is or even if you have to but I suspect you do.
(2) I can't remember if I left keys in ignition and turned on (battery disconnected) so steering lock was off, though I'm reasonably sure I did.

Has anyone changed the steering column bushes while outer column is fitted to the car?
I was fixing horn push at the time as PO had wired this to fan switch on dash!
I never managed to separate wheel boss from column, just unscrewed wheel from boss. I have pulled now for when I retry, put I have to separate plastic shroud from back of wheel first in order to have somewhere to locate them without causing damage.

Please keep us informed on how you get on.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,February 28, 2021, 06:37:50 AM »
You can completely rebuild an engine while it's still in a car but it's a hell of of a lot easier to do it with it out.  Same with the steering column.

The only reason to take it all apart, is if there is play when you move the steering wheel sideways.  If it is tight, it is fine.

You have to take the steering wheel off before removing the column.  Remove the horn push and brush.  Loosen the nut and back it off until it is flush with the end of the column. (at this point some steering wheels will come off with a bit of wiggle)  Pull the steering wheel strongly toward you while your assistant firmly smacks the steering column with a hammer and brass punch.  It will pop right off.

Horns honking when they are not supposed to is a misalignment of the horn ring/brush/wire.  Everything is adjustable on the Triumph column which means everything has to be adjusted and is usually out of adjustment.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,February 28, 2021, 08:42:11 AM »
It seems the rubber bushings that center the shaft in the outer casing will not allow the shaft to be removed. The inner shift will not move beyond those bushings as there is a welded steel collar on the steering shaft between the two rubber bushings. One of those rubber bushings, top or bottom would need to be removed to extract the shaft out of the column. If I press the shaft out the rubber bushing tabs will tear, not a big deal but is that the correct way to disassemble?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,February 28, 2021, 11:22:52 AM »
Remove the steering wheel.

Remove the bolt securing the steering shaft u-joint to the steering rack.

Undo all the electrical connections to the column switches.

Remove the steering column complete.

Remove electrical switches and steering lock.

Undo the collapsing column clamp and remove the inner shaft.

Carefully clean the exposed end of "outer" shaft.

Spray the exposed en with lube.

With vise-grips lightly clamped to the steering wheel shaft's splines, Turn the shaft as you pull it out.

Again, it's from memory, but I don't recall any issues getting it apart.  The plastic column bushes are stiff and a fiddle to change.  The hole in the bushing for the shaft is a bit undersized and it's a wiggle to get the shaft back in.

The outer column surround is a sheet metal construct.  Don't use hammers or presses as it is easily distorted.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,February 28, 2021, 06:22:05 PM »
I got the shaft out of the column, but needed the press. What was holding the shaft in the column was the ignition lock collar which is welded between the two shaft rubber support bushings on the steering shaft. I pressed the upper bushing out as it was worn, the lower was tight. The rubber tabs just sheered off as I pressed. I bet the earlier Europa columns without the ignition column lock are lacking this ignition key lock collar so the inner steering shaft will just pullout, leaving the bushings in the column. The exploded view in the parts listing does not show the welded lock collar on the shaft?

Another issue is the ignition locking assembly bolted to the column. No way to unbolt, I guess part of the anti-thief requirements? Must have to drill out the bolts and replace with allen heads? 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,February 28, 2021, 08:33:00 PM »
Glad it worked out.  I slot the breakaway bolts with a dremel cut-off saw and remove them with a screwdriver.  Usually I just put them back in but replacements are available.