Author Topic: What car were S2 steering columns from?  (Read 363 times)

Offline Richard48Y

What car were S2 steering columns from?
« on: Monday,November 23, 2020, 08:31:22 PM »
What car were S2 steering columns from?
Tried a search as I was certain this must have been discussed before, but no good results.

Thinking I will want a quick release steering wheel to aid in easier entry and exit as well as theft deterrence now that Europa's are getting valuable again.
Simpler to get the bits once I know which to buy.

Offline BDA

Re: What car were S2 steering columns from?
« Reply #1 on: Monday,November 23, 2020, 08:41:49 PM »
The rack is from a Spitfire (modified) so I might assume the steering column is from them too, but it doesn’t necessarily follow. I’ve heard of people using quick-release steering wheels. I would guess the bits would be fairly easy to find and pretty standard.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #2 on: Monday,November 23, 2020, 09:24:05 PM »
My car has already been fitted with a smaller than original wheel.
It definitely makes my getting in and out a bit easier.
No wheel in the way should be even better!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,November 24, 2020, 06:11:30 AM »
It's a similar column as used on the Spitfire, GT6 and TR series.

I have a QR wheel and, surprisingly, it is not easily done.  All the standard QR hubs are weld-on which creates problems for future servicing of the column bearings and electrical switches.  I hunted and hunted until I finally found this:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/lifeline-quick-release-bolt-on-moto-lita-boss-lif410-100-005/

It bolts between the Motolita steering wheel hub and the wheel itself.  Works well but it's not cheap.  Thery list another variation here:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/b-g-racing-quick-release-steering-wheel-adaptor-mountney-motolita-to-momo-nardi-b-gbg4924/

Cheaper but no experience with it.

Both move the wheel 1.5" or so closer to you.  I'm very happy with mine.  I don't tend to use it often but it is very useful when working on the dash.  I also use it as a theft deterrent and when people try out the driver's set for the first time.  Now that I have also relocated the handbrake lever, it's very, very easy to enter and exit.

Offline Broadside

• Midland Race and Rally
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,November 24, 2020, 12:19:34 PM »
It's a similar column as used on the Spitfire, GT6 and TR series.

I have a QR wheel and, surprisingly, it is not easily done.  All the standard QR hubs are weld-on which creates problems for future servicing of the column bearings and electrical switches.  I hunted and hunted until I finally found this:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/lifeline-quick-release-bolt-on-moto-lita-boss-lif410-100-005/

It bolts between the Motolita steering wheel hub and the wheel itself.  Works well but it's not cheap.  Thery list another variation here:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/b-g-racing-quick-release-steering-wheel-adaptor-mountney-motolita-to-momo-nardi-b-gbg4924/

Cheaper but no experience with it.

Both move the wheel 1.5" or so closer to you.  I'm very happy with mine.  I don't tend to use it often but it is very useful when working on the dash.  I also use it as a theft deterrent and when people try out the driver's set for the first time.  Now that I have also relocated the handbrake lever, it's very, very easy to enter and exit.
we use the BG one on one of our race Elises, its perfectly fine but not fast/easy to release as you have push the button in and pull the paddle at the same time - a bit of a fiddle (especially with gloves on)

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,November 24, 2020, 07:01:41 PM »
Looks like I need to make some measurements for the notebook.