Author Topic: factory hardware code decipher?  (Read 490 times)

Offline Nisswa Collision

• Gordon Nachbar Restoration, Nisswa Collision & Restoration
factory hardware code decipher?
« on: Monday,November 16, 2020, 10:21:14 PM »
OK. I read page 10 of the parts book deciphering the Lotus hardware codes. 10 times. I still can't do it. I misplaced the cardboard with the screws to hold the inside door remote on and was curious what the correct original hardware was. I have tons of hardware. I put them on the cardboard way back in April and didn't remember. The parts book tells me. It says "fastener" "339". While I understand the silly concept of 1 = 1/16", 2 = 1/8", etc, etc, that doesn't get me any closer to deciphering what a "fastener 339" is. I'm sure that once I understand the coding, I could figure out what the original fasteners were. After several hours trying to figure it out, I went over to my machine screw assortment and assembled what looked right. Later today I found the cardboard. Yay! I was wrong. They weren't machine screws, they were sheet metal screws with spring steel nuts. OH well, the stainless #8 nylocks  will work fine and the originals didn't get restored (because they were misplaced) and were all rusty. Another question. Why doesn't the parts book mention any rivets? My car sure has plenty.

Offline jbcollier

Re: factory hardware code decipher?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,November 17, 2020, 07:12:11 AM »
AFAIK, the hardware "code" only applies to bolts.  Screw part numbers do not have encoded descriptive info.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,November 17, 2020, 07:35:01 AM »
There is a coding for self-tapping and wood screws here: http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/intro/intro.pdf (see #4). I can’t say I fully understand how to apply it. I thought the manual had an example of how to construct a code but I’m not finding it on the scan I just linked. Maybe I missed it?

Offline Nisswa Collision

• Gordon Nachbar Restoration, Nisswa Collision & Restoration
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,November 18, 2020, 07:01:10 PM »
All I've found is that page 10 in the parts book. A guy needs more information than is printed there to be able to use it as any parts book would have their hardware identification system better explained. Just what size is a number 100 washer? and what type of fastener is a number 339? It's almost like this was all explained in an earlier car parts book and since they already know about it, didn't bother printing it again.