Author Topic: Window motor range extension  (Read 1028 times)

Stuleslie

Window motor range extension
« on: Friday,February 02, 2018, 09:02:42 AM »
Hi, I was trying to find an old thread that showed a modification to the gear arm that would allow the travel of the window to extend down to the door edge. I have tried cutting the washer that is welded to the large gear which acts as a travel stop but when I powered up the motor, it did not extend its travel, that is, it did not reach the washer. I assume there must be some other limiting stop inside the motor that prevents it running too far.
Any ideas? Or am I just imagining it (has been known)  :confused:
Thanks Stuart

Offline buzzer

Re: Window motor range extension
« Reply #1 on: Friday,February 02, 2018, 09:16:21 AM »
I’m surprised you didn’t manage to extend the travel. As I have a mechanism without washers and it moved the window lower into the door.  There must be something else. Could be the glass runner has blocks it. It you have just removed the washer and your window has not moved below this point ever before I bet it’s full of crud. So check the glass channels
« Last Edit: Friday,February 02, 2018, 09:26:32 AM by buzzer »
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Friday,February 02, 2018, 09:18:08 AM »
Here's the link to what one member did to extend window movement: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1648.msg14943#msg14943

I know of no other mechanism for limiting the movement of the window lift mechanism than the washers that are welded on arm so I'm surprised that your motor is stopping before it hits the stop. I'm assuming that there is no other evidence of malfunctions. You can open up the motor case by scraping away some of the water proofing and unbolting the shell to inspect the interior (just make sure to use some silicone to restore the water proofing.

If you determine that your motor can not been rehabilitated, they are Delco units and should be still available. In the US, I believe they were used on Oldsmobiles.

Stuleslie

« Reply #3 on: Friday,February 02, 2018, 11:42:57 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys. After reading the article it looks like I have not cut enough material from the washer. When the window stopped moving it was still about 3 cm above the door ledge so it looked as if nothing had changed so I assumed it did not reach the stop. I will have to take more material off and check that the roller at the end of the arm does not snag in the channel.
Thanks again
Stuart

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,February 03, 2018, 10:45:56 AM »
correct me if I am wrong, but I believe even at dead bottom, there will still be an inch of glass above the sill (at an angle) because the height of the glass itself is longer/bigger than the room in the door from bottom to top edge.   I remember doing something years ago (forget exactly what), that lowered the glass much more than original, but still the forward edge sticks up an inch.   Much better than the 3 inches before and the whole top edge of glass above the sill the whole door width.
does anyone have total glass hidden below the top edge?   is that even possible?
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Stuleslie

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,February 03, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »
Ted,
You are right most of the glass can be hidden but the front edge still sticks up a little even when the glass is touching the floor of the door.
I have taken a bigger chunk out of the ‘stop’ washer and now the window drops down to the door ledge, just what I wanted.