Author Topic: VIN  (Read 39 times)

Richard48Y and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline rjbaren

VIN
« on: Today at 08:41:13 AM »
If I wanted to do a VIN or VHR report, how do you do it when our VIN is 6 digits and a letter?

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: VIN
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:44:06 AM »
I have spent 8 months debating VIN numbers with the UK registration authorities (and we made the car in the UK).
« Last Edit: Today at 09:48:51 AM by 4129R »

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:32:19 AM »
Well the VIN sorta isn't just six digits and a letter. I guess, formally it is eight digits and a letter: YYMMIIIIM where YY is the year and MM is the month of manufacture. IIII is an incremental part and M is the letter designating the market. Of course, the VIN has to be viewable from outside the windshield but that plate shows only the incremental and market parts of the "formal" VIN. I have no idea what various DMVs used for a VIN back when the cars were new. So I don't really know what the VIN of a Europa is. I guess it depends on how it was registered. When I registered my car in a new state after more than twenty years off the road, I had forgotten about the "formal" VIN and had it registered as "3635R."

None of that is probably useful for answering your question. As you probably already knew, Carfax requires 17 characters. I tried a few examples from the registry that looked likely to be driving cars including  my "3635R" at https://www.vehiclehistory.com/ and got nothing.

So I guess in the world of Carfax or VHRs, our cars don't exist!

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:50:31 AM »
I have tried numerous sites, and they all require 17 digits.  Even with a license plate nothing comes up.