Author Topic: So, guesting at a Muslim household for non-Muslims?  (Read 352 times)

Offline Richard48Y

So, guesting at a Muslim household for non-Muslims?
« on: Thursday,August 19, 2021, 08:47:28 PM »
Pretty certain we have a wide array of knowledge and experiance here.
Anyone have etiquette tips for a non-Muslim who may be staying a few days in a Muslim houshold?
I already know not to bring pulled-pork sandwiches back for lunch.  ;)
Host is not a six times a day prayer level guy but is fairly observant otherwise.
It just seems a bit awkward for me to have to ask him directly.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: So, guesting at a Muslim household for non-Muslims?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,August 19, 2021, 09:48:22 PM »
Just a word of warning, they refer to their spiritual leader as "The Prophet Muhammad" not just "Muhammad" which some think is an insult without the "Prophet" in front.

Some Muslims won't talk to another female, and will ignore them in a conversation. I had this in Morocco when my wife was ignored. She thought it was an insult, they treat it as respect for someone else's wife.

There are two branches of Islam, the Sunni and the Shia. Sunni is the larger of the two main branches of Islam, which differs from Shia in its understanding of the Sunna, its conception of religious leadership, and its acceptance of the first three caliphs.

They have different toilet etiquette. A hose not toilet paper.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,August 19, 2021, 09:59:38 PM »
Host is not a six times a day prayer level guy but is fairly observant otherwise.

Personally I'd open up with something like "we're different cultures, I've tried to learn your customs but I'll probably make mistakes. Please excuse & correct if I go wrong". You won't be the first non-Muslim they've seen so they'll be used to all sorts of reactions.

You'll get it out of the way at first meeting, your host will know you've tried and if they are friends they'll be understanding. I reckon you'll be blown away with their hospitality.

Brian
« Last Edit: Thursday,August 19, 2021, 10:51:36 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,August 19, 2021, 10:51:54 PM »
He has been a US resident since he was ten years old and in his sixties now, so I'm not expecting major issues as might be more commonplace from a recent immigrant.
But I've always tried to learn the major Faux pas to avoid any time I travel to another country and this is similar enough.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #4 on: Friday,August 20, 2021, 04:40:34 AM »
It is better to ask a question and be thought a fool than keep our mouths closed and remove all doubt. Ignorance is stupid.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Friday,August 20, 2021, 05:59:17 AM »
It is better to ask a question and be thought a fool than keep our mouths closed and remove all doubt. Ignorance is stupid.
Interesting. I am very familiar with the saying that goes, 'Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt'.
Depending upon the context, I can see wisdom in both. This reminds me of two other common sayings with opposing views, yet again, I can find wisdom in both; 'Don't sweat the small stuff', and 'It's the little things that count'. :o

Apologies to the OP for steering off course...
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #6 on: Friday,August 20, 2021, 10:35:28 AM »
Pretty certain we have a wide array of knowledge and experiance here.
Anyone have etiquette tips for a non-Muslim who may be staying a few days in a Muslim houshold?
I already know not to bring pulled-pork sandwiches back for lunch.  ;)
You could always play safe and just stay in a Hotel .....  :confused:

Offline Clifton

« Reply #7 on: Friday,August 20, 2021, 12:06:06 PM »
I have family that are evangelical Christians and know a guy that grew up conservative Jewish with orthodox family members. They all believe their profits spoke to Yawyeh. Be respectful and polite and it is all good. Observant Jews and I'm sure some Muslims will sneak pork. Bacon is hard to resist for anyone.  :)