Author Topic: Europa production line - with Barry De Groot  (Read 1162 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Europa production line - with Barry De Groot
« Reply #15 on: Monday,March 20, 2023, 11:14:39 AM »
Of course the price from Cessna for the part versus from a repop manufacturer is a factor of 100 different.)

And somehow...we just smile knowingly when we discover these cross-polinated bits and bobs, right?
[/quote]

Just like the post 72 Europa rear lights for the UK market also fit the Jaguar E Type XJ12, and I believe the Smiths heater motor is also fitted to an exotic Italian car (Ferrari I believe).

I am sure Chunky paid bargain basement prices !!!

Incidentally I understand the new Emira production line is experiencing parts supply problems. It seem Lotus are still not paying their parts suppliers on time.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #16 on: Monday,March 20, 2023, 12:11:03 PM »
Just like the post 72 Europa rear lights for the UK market also fit the Jaguar E Type XJ12, and I believe the Smiths heater motor is also fitted to an exotic Italian car (Ferrari I believe).

I am sure Chunky paid bargain basement prices !!

Incidentally I understand the new Emira production line is experiencing parts supply problems. It seem Lotus are still not paying their parts suppliers on time.

And they just announced a big bump in MSRP for future delivery...and delay in the Merc-engined models of the Emira.  The lowest spec will come in at a little over 100K in the US. 

They have moved upmarket, no?
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,March 21, 2023, 01:04:43 AM »
  Who is Derek Sleath, keeps going through my mind , turns out he was put in charge of the P5 project by Chapman back in the day. I found this interesting article about him and Lotus here :

https://themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2007/7/17/articles-a-lotus-for-europe-europa-s2s-with-new-europa-s-194

He may have been an artist also, pictured here driving an imp. Don’t know for sure yet if it’s the same Derek , so history buffs, please be kind.

Supply chain and shortages of parts shut down GMs corvette assembly line this month. I guess it’s just part of the beast.

Dman