Author Topic: Duratec Engine Swap  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Rosco5000

Duratec Engine Swap
« on: Friday,July 17, 2015, 12:46:35 PM »
So I am 2 months into my Europa ownership.  I am slowly collecting useful bits, like a factory workshop manual to make sense of the car I have bought. 

I really thought I would keep this car all stock as I was thinking that I would want to put collectors plates in the future and here in BC you can't change too much to qualify, but lets just say that idea is out the window now as I came across a low mileage 2.0 Duratec for a more than reasonable price so I just couldn't say no.

This leaves me in a bit of a pickle as there are tons of zetec swaps out there but not as many Duratec swaps.  The duratec seems to be a very potent engine but may be a little bit taller than the zetec.  All I have found so far for documentation on the swap is the car "The Flamer".  The swap is very tidy but not terribly detailed.  So I thought I would start up a bit of a brainstorming thread here to get some input on what everyone things some of the hurdles may be and try to gather any past knowledge from someone that has done the swap in the past.

1. Acquired Engine and all wiring from a 2005 ford focus. Security system and engine management combined.
2. I have 2 spare transmissions and bellhousings for renault Europas and one complete engine and transmission in the car, so spares for modification are available.

Here is where I run into issues I managed to score a bellhousing for the duratec for a front wheel drive automatic set up. Do you I use this bell houseing a make an adapter between the transmission and bellhousing or do I attack it on the other end and use the lotus bellhousing and make an adapter plate between the block and the bellhousing. 
Some pros and cons I have thought of are:
Duratec Bellhousing:
Pros: Rigid structure, clearance for Ford clutch and flywheel should be no problem, adapter plate between bellhousing and transmission may be cheaper as you will need a considerably smaller piece of billet to make it work.
Cons: no provision for a clutch set up
Renault Bellhousing:
Pros: Provisions for OE clutch, mates easily with transmission
Cons: May not clear ford flywheel and clutch, larger adapter plate required costing more money in billet and if I don't get it right the first time.  :headbanger:

What do you guys think?  Is there anything I am missing in this adapter process that you can think of?
Thanks,
Ross
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline RoddyMac

Re: Duratec Engine Swap
« Reply #1 on: Friday,July 17, 2015, 12:55:51 PM »
How does the Duratec bellhousing compare in length to the Renault one?  If its quite a bit longer it will cause issues with the input shaft. And, if the combined length of the motor and bellhousing are greater than the Renault set up, the rear suspension will need some modification.  As for the adapter plate, I like the idea of a gearbox to bellhousing plate as its smaller so less material.  If you're handy with CAD, getting an adapter laser cut for either the motor or the gearbox shouldn't be that expensive. 

Also, in regards to the clutch, or lack thereof with the Duratec bellhousing, have a look at concentric slave cylinders.  You might be able to cobble one together from off the shelf items.

One thing I've done (not really on purpose) is I'm using an empty gearbox casing (save for the diff) for mocking up purposes.  Its a lot lighter to manhandle compared to a fully loaded gearbox.   

Rod
« Last Edit: Friday,July 17, 2015, 03:27:28 PM by RoddyMac »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Friday,July 17, 2015, 02:49:59 PM »
Twin cams came with a Lotus bell housing which bolts to a Ford engine.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #3 on: Friday,July 17, 2015, 03:27:06 PM »
John,
That only works with the Kent based engines and Zetecs.  The Duratec is a Mazda based engine and doesn't share the same bolt pattern as the Zetec/Kent engines.  Caterham and others have made up bellhousings to bolt the Duratec to the Type 9 based gearboxes and the stronger MT75 gearbox, but making it fit a Renault based gearbox means doing it yourself. 

Rod
« Last Edit: Friday,July 17, 2015, 03:29:04 PM by RoddyMac »

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,July 18, 2015, 07:41:12 PM »
Hey guys thanks for the responses.
Roddy unfortunately my cad days ended in high school drafting. My dad and I figure things out old school. I have decent tig so I might try making the Renault side of the bell housing end plate mate up with the duratec bell housing. It might even solve my release bearing problem as that assembly is all part if the back of the bell housing/front cover of the transmission. I will post some pictures when I get to do it.
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2

Offline echan

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,June 14, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »
My friend Bob has mad a Duratec bell housing adapter to fit a Duratec to the Renault transaxle.  He also made one for me.  I'll see if he wants to make more for other people.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,June 14, 2018, 02:10:40 PM »
Echan,  :Welcome:

So how is your build going !

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,June 14, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »
 :Welcome: echan!

We'd love to see some pictures of your build!

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,June 14, 2018, 03:00:13 PM »
Hi Dakazman, unfortunately slowly.  I have a 2.0L engine and a long and short block 2.3l and the transaxle with the appropriate adapter plate and custom flywheel.  Next move is to figure out the rear suspension and brakes.  I have been building my Dad's Plus 2 and I bought a Europa Special in the meantime so I have a lot on the go.  The even better news is that I am moving on the farm with my family and parents so I will have access to the shop every night after work so progress should speed up significantly by the end of the year.  My Special is living up to the Lots of trouble usually serious reputation unfortunately as it is getting stripped for an engine rebuild and transaxle rebuild.  I'll start a new thread on that one.

Maybe someone can chime in on the bug rear drive stub axles.  I think someone on here was doing that conversion and I have found some interesting brake swaps from the VW scene as the early Porsche 944 rear brakes and suspension swing arms were almost identical to a bug, so if someone can make the bug stub axle and flange work in the Europa upright I think there is a high chance of making the Porsche discs work on the back of the Europa as I wanted to convert the Porsche wheel bolt pattern anyways due to the availability of wheels for the restomod.
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2

Offline dakazman

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,June 14, 2018, 04:31:39 PM »
Rosco,
Well your farm looked tranquil and that leads to a great place to concentrate.
Your definitely in the zone. Staying stock on this one here but the next one , who knows.
Dakazman