Author Topic: Chassis parts  (Read 745 times)

Offline Gary t

Chassis parts
« on: Monday,June 18, 2018, 08:52:05 PM »
Should there be a reenforcing plate on the chassis where the training link rubber mount attaches to the chassis?  My car has nothing there. How thick should it be?
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Chassis parts
« Reply #1 on: Monday,June 18, 2018, 10:03:41 PM »
Do you mean the part shown in this diagram ? 

If so, then it looks as if it was introduced during the S2 production and if your car is earlier it might not have had one.  Interesting that it's shown outside the chassis on the S2 yet the TC has a slightly different designed plate inside the chassis. Without going and checking my TC I can't be certain but my memory says it wasn't that thick, probably 1/16", so about the same as the chassis wall thickness.

If you're going to make one, the TC design is probably stronger with the top & bottom returns on the plate and being located inside won't affect the current alignment settings.

Brian

Edit to add - I didn't make it clear, the main picture is the S2 chassis, the inset is from the TC parts book and shows the later reinforcement plate design/placement.
« Last Edit: Monday,June 18, 2018, 11:53:24 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Monday,June 18, 2018, 10:57:12 PM »
I have an early case and mine dies not have a reinforcing plate.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #3 on: Monday,June 18, 2018, 11:24:30 PM »
Firstly, Gary, which model Europa do you have?

I have a Type 54 and it has a reinforcing plate spot welded to the inside.
My reinforcing plate is a slightly different shape to the one in Brian's pic.

I can take a pic if you need.

EDIT:
Brian, the red arrow in your pic shows the reinforcing plate on the outside but the insert pic shows it installed on the inside.

Also, the fact that the reinforcing plate is shown as a separate item seems to suggest it was possible to add it at a later date. As I say, mine is spot-welded in position.  :confused:
« Last Edit: Monday,June 18, 2018, 11:32:33 PM by GavinT »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Monday,June 18, 2018, 11:49:47 PM »
Brian, the red arrow in your pic shows the reinforcing plate on the outside but the insert pic shows it installed on the inside.

Also, the fact that the reinforcing plate is shown as a separate item seems to suggest it was possible to add it at a later date. As I say, mine is spot-welded in position.  :confused:
Yeah, bad explanation on my part.

The big chassis picture is the S2 with the accompanying text below it giving part numbers and introduction date. The inset is the TC version.  It's been too long since I had my chassis apart so I can't recall if it was originally a separate component or not.  As I had to do a lot of plating in the area of the engine mounts (external corrosion) I suspect I've also tacked it in place as well. Makes sense, it's always going to be there so why not remove another assembly step for the future ?

Brian
« Last Edit: Monday,June 18, 2018, 11:54:07 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline Gary t

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,June 19, 2018, 07:28:52 AM »
Yes Brian the part with the red arrow. If it is a later (post 1969) then I will most likely just move on. If I were planning to separate the body and chassis then improved access make it easier.
Thanks all.
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173