Author Topic: Fitting new alum gas tank?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Runningwild

Fitting new alum gas tank?
« on: Wednesday,June 13, 2018, 10:16:52 AM »
Does this look right. ?  Going to be a nightmare cutting the rubber hose to fit the gas fill tube!

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Fitting new alum gas tank?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,June 13, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »
If you actually manage to connect the flip top filler via a rubber tube, filling the fuel from a pump will be a challenge.

Basically the tank has been made completely wrong.

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,June 13, 2018, 11:27:48 AM »
I agree. Going to need a rag on the body so the hose doesn’t scratch. Hang over the body to fill.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,June 13, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »
The tank filler neck appears to be in the correct location on the tank. The filler opening comes down at an angle to meet the rubber hose (see pic)

Filling the tank will be tiresome. California has the vapor recovery system forcing you to push the rubber outer vapor recovery cover up with one hand allowing the tank to fill and slowly dribbling fuel into the opening trying not to splash fuel all over the car at the same time. It takes me a long time to fill one tank. 

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,June 13, 2018, 05:28:18 PM »
Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Tank is mounted now I’ll see what I can do about the rubber hose connection. 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,June 13, 2018, 10:55:43 PM »

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,June 13, 2018, 11:43:51 PM »
The tank filler neck appears to be in the correct location on the tank. The filler opening comes down at an angle to meet the rubber hose (see pic)

Filling the tank will be tiresome. California has the vapor recovery system forcing you to push the rubber outer vapor recovery cover up with one hand allowing the tank to fill and slowly dribbling fuel into the opening trying not to splash fuel all over the car at the same time. It takes me a long time to fill one tank.

Just thinking out loud, but it might be a good idea to carry a modified funnel to aid filling with those vapour recovery nozzles. Thinking of a funnel with an attached filler pipe in the middle, that you could push against with the bellows

Attaching a quick sketch of what I'm on about.

The funnel would need to seal against the filler neck to get the auto shut-off of the pump to work, but even if it didn't, it might be an improvement over what you have now?

I've seen metal funnels available, so I think it would be a case of attaching the central pipe and landing area for the bellows, and trying to work out a seal for the filler neck - maybe a bit of fibreglass fabrication to create a flat landing area, and a flat rubber seal could work - like a bath plug seal but fuel resistant maybe - . and get it to sit as low as possible in the filler to avoid filling the funnel and it having nowhere to go if you overfill the tank.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,June 14, 2018, 08:54:56 AM »
The vapor recovery nozzle has a lot of spring pressure against it and I'm concerned about the stress imparted by pressing down against the fiberglass. I already have a few stress cracks around the filler opening and don't want to add any more. One way I suppose to get around that is to is to reinforce the underside of the opening and use your funnel idea. Still have to wonder if the fuel pump auto shutoff will work with the stock Lotus fuel tank vent system.

For the S2, I've been using a funnel with a flexible neck that can be stuck all the way down into the filler tube. It helps some what in the fill procedure by allowing the fill nozzle to be at a more comfortable angle. It still takes forever to fill two tanks and if you overfill the funnel, you're screwed.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,June 14, 2018, 11:08:38 AM »
On what Europa models is the tank fitted with an angled filler, pointing towards the roof/rear screen?

All my 7 have straight vertical fillers with quick release caps.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,June 14, 2018, 11:12:37 AM »
On what Europa models is the tank fitted with an angled filler

Series 2.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,June 14, 2018, 11:21:12 AM »
Chunky must have got them cheap from somewhere !

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #11 on: Thursday,June 14, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »
Why not get a 45 degree steel of aluminum pipe and use rubber hose on either end?  :confused:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,June 14, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »
S1 as well.

Offline BobW

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,June 14, 2018, 04:51:40 PM »
Having had a new aluminum tank (RD) fitted last year, in retrospect it would be a good idea to connect the rubber hose between the tank and the filler neck before mounting the tank to the body. Mine was done by first matching up the dimples on the tank's mounting brackets to the existing screw holes, leaving me with the filler neck askew and a jog in the rubber hose that thwarted easy filling. It took me some time to line things up better but it's still not completely right.

Thankfully, I don't have to cope with the California vapour recovery system.