Author Topic: FS - 67 S1A, Vista, Ca  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

FS - 67 S1A, Vista, Ca
« on: Friday,July 30, 2021, 06:45:27 AM »
A good friend of mine passed away last year leaving his project S1A, 46/0478 to be moved along to the next owner and I took on the task of selling it for his family. This is a little bit of the history that I know about the car. My friend was at least the third owner. He bought the S1A from the previous owner in Michigan. Previous to that, it may have lived in New York state looking at a decal on the windscreen. The car has been stored in a garage with both the previous and the current owner. Please note, the S1A does not come with a title.

46/0478 is typical for any car that has been stored for 20-30 years indoors. It will need a lot of work to get it on the road. Typical for any S1, the chassis has a lot of rust, especially the front section and will most likely need to be replaced. My friend was thinking ahead to this possibility and acquired an older Spyder S2 rolling chassis. TCS alloy wheels will come with the Spyder chassis as a package. The body is in excellent shape with an OK gray paint job. As far as I can tell, most of the bits are there. The tail lights, the dash board pieces are missing in the photos but are stored in a separate box.. A pair of aftermarket  plexiglass windows are also included. It has the original original 697 engine and 336 gearbox replaced by a 821-02 substitute engine, condition of both are unknown.

My friend was also looking ahead to convert it to 4AGE power so there is  a Toyota Blacktop 4AGE motor with the stock Toyota transaxle still attached and the ECU. A 395 5 speed gearbox is also included (it has no bell housing). To complete the 4AGE conversion, my friend purchased the John Pels adaptor plate for the 336 and the beautiful Pels header system. This package is optional and is in addition to the car and Spyder chassis package.

The car is located in Vista, California, north San Diego county. To view the car or for more information, please PM me and I’ll send the sellers contact information. 46/0478 is listed in the Lotus Europa Central registry, http://lotus-europa.com/regs1a.html.  The photo page shows the owner stopping by to visit Steve Veris on his way home after picking up the car in Michigan.

We are asking $8500 for the S1A and Spyder rolling chassis package.
The Toyota Blacktop, 395 transaxle, Pels adaptor plate and headers are optional for an additional $1000.

8-7-2021, edited to correct the engine currently in the car.

Joji Tokumoto
« Last Edit: Saturday,August 07, 2021, 06:06:08 PM by Grumblebuns »

Offline Nockenwelle

Re: FS - 67 S1A, Vista, Ca
« Reply #1 on: Friday,July 30, 2021, 12:44:51 PM »
Hello Joji,

that's a sad reason to sell a car.
The body of that S1A looks really good and I think the whole car is an ideal starting point for a restoration. All the best for the sale.

Klaus

Offline Clifton

« Reply #2 on: Friday,July 30, 2021, 12:59:46 PM »
Seems like a good price with frame. The 4age and adapter too.

Don't let the lack of title scare anyone away. I bought a Lotus without a title. It's not too hard to get one in Az. Just a a hand full of DMV trips and documented checking with prior owners and contacting DMV in the state is was in last, an inspection and a bonded title for 6 months before a regular one. It was only a few hundred dollars for the bonded title.

Good luck with the sale.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Friday,July 30, 2021, 01:22:50 PM »
 :I-agree: with Clifton.

When I went to register my car, I couldn't find the original title. I had bought it when I was in New Orleans and now I'm in North Carolina. What the DMV lady said was that it helped a lot that I did find a notice to update my registration from the NO DMV. But I got curious and figured with all the hot rods and kit cars, there had to be alternate routes. to a new title. I looked around and there are. I didn't have to use them but it was nice to know they were there.

I also agree that it is a sad reason to have to sell a car and kudos to you for helping out his family the way you are! That says a lot about you and your friend.

It's a big job for the purchaser but with the 4AGE setup, that will make a REALLY nice car when it's done! Make sure the purchaser joins this forum and posts lots of pictures of his progress!
« Last Edit: Friday,July 30, 2021, 01:33:13 PM by BDA »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Friday,July 30, 2021, 01:29:30 PM »
My advice would be to get the title.  You cannot export the car out of the country without one.  It is a nightmare to try and get title from out-of country.  You're more likely to get more money from overseas but not if you don't have title.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #5 on: Friday,July 30, 2021, 03:50:39 PM »
My friend Whit had plans for the S1A, too bad he never got to even start on the project. I asked his wife to start working on getting a title but she decided to sell the car without one. If there is enough overseas inquiries, she may change her mind. Even here in California, transferring a car without a title is not impossible. If anyone in California is hesitant on getting this car because it has no title, PM me and I will put you in touch with someone who recently went through the process locally.

Anyone know what happened to the 67 S1A auction on ebay that ended after only four days? I was hoping to use that car as a reference on the asking price.

Joji Tokumoto

Offline Cortinalodi

« Reply #6 on: Monday,February 14, 2022, 06:57:51 AM »
Is trans and adaptor still for sale…..can it be bought separate?
I’m in Calif.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #7 on: Monday,February 14, 2022, 09:46:36 AM »
My friend Whit had plans for the S1A, too bad he never got to even start on the project. I asked his wife to start working on getting a title but she decided to sell the car without one. If there is enough overseas inquiries, she may change her mind. Even here in California, transferring a car without a title is not impossible. If anyone in California is hesitant on getting this car because it has no title, PM me and I will put you in touch with someone who recently went through the process locally.

Anyone know what happened to the 67 S1A auction on ebay that ended after only four days? I was hoping to use that car as a reference on the asking price.

Joji Tokumoto

Was it the green one? I believe it went for $3500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304333485727?hash=item46dbb0769f:g:IlYAAOSwhhBhpRIy

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #8 on: Monday,February 14, 2022, 12:46:48 PM »
Is trans and adaptor still for sale…..can it be bought separate?
I’m in Calif.

Yes, I will sell the 395 trans and the Pels adaptor separate from the S1A. Be aware that the 395 does not come a bell housing. Will send you a PM with my email.

Joji Tokumoto

Offline s2europa

« Reply #9 on: Monday,February 14, 2022, 05:44:26 PM »
If the Twin Cam bell hou
sing will bolt up to the 395, I have one of those for sale in the For Sale Parts section.