Author Topic: ANOTHER member...  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
ANOTHER member...
« on: Monday,August 29, 2016, 01:13:20 AM »
I'm Steve - just moved to Lindford, Hampshire, UK. Here is my car (are the photos showing?? certainly not on the message preview) - standard twincam, lagoon blue, original chassis. Reasonably good condition - but I think it has been a bit unloved for a while. Purchased in December 2015 and stored in Woking since while I sort out a few things. I have a detailed history file except for the 10 years after 1990 which is very frustrating - and is also strange as it was owned by the same guy who kept impeccable records for the preceding 9 years. Not sure of mileage because of this gap in the history and I am aware of several speedo and cable changes. There is a V E R Y strange story how this car initially left the factory - more of that another time.

I have read through ALL relevant posts from all of this forum (which took a while) - and made lots of notes. You wouldn't think I could possibly have any queries after all that! - but I have several - and who would have thought I would start with this regular feature -

Jacking points - Can I jack off the bottom of a rear upright to lift up one rear wheel?? I can't believe everyone is driving around with the low level trolley jacks in their cars and I don't expect a scissor jack would work off the back of the chassis/gearbox mount.

Servo/booster - I understand that the general opinion is that they don't offer much to a car of this weight - but am I correct in understanding they have the possibility of failing without warning and causing complete brake failure??

Thanks - Steve_Lindford

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: ANOTHER member...
« Reply #1 on: Monday,August 29, 2016, 01:26:32 AM »
I jack under the rear uprights regularly to lift 1 wheel, and under the gearbox to lift 2 wheels, and stick axle stands under the Y of the chassis when working on the back end.

I use the bottom of the anti-roll bar vertical links to lift each side of the front, which is much lighter, and put 4 x 2 and axle stands under the front chassis cross-member which picks up the bottom wishbones.

I have never heard of servo failure causing brake failure. I believe the fluid would flow through the pipes normally, but without increased pressure. What can happen, is fluid leaks from within the servo, and you run out of fluid, so just check fluid level regularly if you suspect the servo is leaking. I believe the fluid goes into the suction pipe and gets burned in the engine; this is what happened on my Mini Cooper S back in the 70's.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,August 29, 2016, 06:41:22 AM »
 :Welcome: Steve!

It looks like you have a nice example! It looks like after a bit of TLC you'll have a nice ride!

It's my habit to jack up the rear from either under the rear 'hoop' or under the tranny near where the lower links attach, but if you have the original scissor jack, there's nothing wrong with jacking up one side from the jack point in front of the rear wheel or the upright.

For the front, I don't jack on the roll bar drop links. I go through the trouble of jacking up one side with the scissor jack and when it's high enough, putting a floor jack (trolley jack for you Brits) under the 'T' of the frame behind the sheet metal that covers the rack and M/C.

I think Alex is right about the boosters. It's pretty popular get rid of the boosters and replace the M/C with one of a smaller bore. Alternatively, the Girling boosters can be rebuilt or replaced with Lockheed versions.

Don't feel shy about asking questions. There are some very very knowledgeable people on this forum!

And yes, your pictures came out fine!  :beerchug:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Monday,August 29, 2016, 07:38:52 AM »
The boosters work great for many years.  50 years though is pushing it.  As Dr. BDA says above, either rebuild them or, better, replace with new.

There's a bit of welding been done to your frame.  Might be a good idea to have a four wheel alignment just to make sure everything is where it should be.

You can download a TC/S owner's manual here:

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcowner/index.htm

Jacking points are on pages 21 & 22 (note: text says "rear" of the rear wheel arch but the illustration shows the front)

I don't have a TC/S but my S1 also has a jacking point under the middle of the rocker panel.

Europas are very light and easily fall off jack stands, especially at the front so be careful.  I use a low floor/trolley jack under the frame "T" section at the front.  Then jack stands on either side as you have shown above.  At the rear, I made up a jacking bar that is easy to use and very secure:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-PRTWCMN/A

PS: Welcome to Europas Anonymous!

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Monday,August 29, 2016, 08:05:43 AM »
Dr. BDA! You flatter me, John! That's high praise coming from a surgeon like you!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Monday,August 29, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »
 :Welcome: Welcome to the forum, Steve.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Monday,August 29, 2016, 09:10:12 AM »
Jacking points - Can I jack off the bottom of a rear upright to lift up one rear wheel?? I can't believe everyone is driving around with the low level trolley jacks in their cars and I don't expect a scissor jack would work off the back of the chassis/gearbox mount.

Servo/booster - I understand that the general opinion is that they don't offer much to a car of this weight - but am I correct in understanding they have the possibility of failing without warning and causing complete brake failure??

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum.

We all have our own versions of jacking points and I'm no different. You'd think, given the drivers manual shows where you should put your jack we'd all have the same idea, but no...

I bought a low entry trolley jack which slides easily under the front roll bar and with a lump of wood on top of the pad, centralises very nicely under the front cross member. That easily lifts the whole front up and two axle stands at either end make it rock steady for hitting with hammers.....  (this is a Lotus after all  ;)   )

At the rear for any extensive work I do the same as BDA and go under the rear hoop. I've made a custom block of wood to stabalise it and you get both sides in the air very easily with large axle stands under the rear ends of the chassis. For something quick on one side only I often use a block of wood underneath the trailing arm box section with a trolley jack going in from the side just behind the doors. That's quite a solid lift and a bit higher than the hub carriers.

Servos, well, each to their own.   There's not so much debate on this forum but Lotuselan.net has many tales of them slowly failing and sucking brake fluid into the engine, which is the reason I finally decided against having one.   But let's be fair, they were never an issue back in the day and as John says it's more probable that old age is the true reason for failure.

I did away with mine on both cars but I can understand why people prefer to keep them.

Brian

ps - nice looking car, they do look good in blue. That must be an early special with a K reg, or is it a TC with "bling" ?

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,August 31, 2016, 01:21:53 AM »
Thanks for all that info - put my mind at rest about the servo/booster options. My server was replaced according to the receipts (cant quite recall when just now) with an Elan plus 2 version. The car has come without a jack - so I will look out for a scissor jack this weekend at the big Beaulieu auto jumble this weekend.

This car is standard twincam with - as you say - bling. There is also a receipt for a new rear badge to replace the special badge - so it seems as if a previous owner wanted it to appear something it was not. The registration number is not original to the the car - as it did at one time have a personalised plate - unless of course the original plate was put on hold - and put back.

I have managed to speak to the original owner who was searching for the car and hope to meet up sometime. It was in the brief ownership of Derek Bean  - Lotus Dealer in Middlesex who changed colour from JPS black to lagoon blue - and sold it on. Is he still involved with Lotus in any way??

Steve

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,August 31, 2016, 08:35:06 AM »
I can't add anything about Derek Bean but if you wish to trace the history of your car then Andy Graham is the man to talk to. There was a thread on here recently as Andy was asking for  owner information to help re-build his records - he is the official Lotus Factory Archivist.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1545.msg13988#msg13988

His main game is providing certificates of authenticity (for a nominal charge) but I've found him very helpful and easy to talk to on most matters. For instance he told me the dealer from where my Elan was originally sold in 1968 and is also logging data on the Europas. Drop him a line if you're curious.

But if your car was originally black perhaps it was one of the early Specials ?  Mine was also registered with a K plate on 7/72 and that was one of the plain TCs (and in poverty spec as well with steel wheels ! )

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,August 31, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
I doubt if my car is a special - the previous owner contacted Lotus who said the car was registered in December 1971 - so too early. I have got photos of the car from the first owner and it had the metal side panels - but someone told me they were an possibly an optional extra. Is there a date for the first JPS colour scheme I wonder??  I will contact Andy Graham as I have some additional information about how the car left the factory which might mean something to him. I will share this with the group when I get a moment...

Steve

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,August 31, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »
What is the chassis number?

It seems the UK spec Europa Twin Cam Special started around 72081780P.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,August 31, 2016, 05:31:00 PM »
This makes me want to put gold pin stripes on mine...

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,August 31, 2016, 05:38:19 PM »
The two TCSs I've owned both had gold pin stripes so I've always thought the car looked a little naked without them. I guess because the S2 never had them, I don't feel the same about the S2s.

I'd say you should go for it, Kid!

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #13 on: Sunday,September 04, 2016, 03:42:26 AM »
Chassis number on mine is 7111221189P - and paint code LO4 - which I believe is white. BUT it seems to have left the factory twice - sounds crazy - I will start a new thread about it...

Steve