Author Topic: Early S2 Electrical Questions  (Read 642 times)

Offline bozman

• It's a Europa with an "e" at the end.
Early S2 Electrical Questions
« on: Monday,August 29, 2016, 07:27:21 AM »
I have an early Type 54 (54-1540, Europe, so destined for Germany) that seems to be a nice blend of S1 and S2 Federal bits. 

By looking at the wiring diagram, it seems that the Hazards, Brake Fail, power windows, and radio were somewhat "Optional".

POWER WINDOWS: Working, no issues.

RADIO: Appears to never have been installed.

HAZARDS:
In the dash hole that typically contains the Hazard light, I removed a Horn button that was added by a previous owner.  The dash also has the switch for the "Hazard" setup (connected to nothing) but no flasher or wiring as far as I can tell, so there is a possibility that a previous owner may have removed it for some reason.  Although the more likely scenario is that mine never had the Hazard option.

BRAKE FAIL:
I also have a hole where the Brake Fail light should be.  However, I have an S1 type master cylinder and reservoir, with no provisions for a Brake Fail sensor in the reservoir, so I assume I never had the "Brake Fail" light. 

If the consensus is that this Europ(e) did not have the "Hazard" or "Brake Fail" options, can anyone tell me what may have been in the light holes accordingly, and why do I have an original switch in the Hazard switch location.

Thanks!
Greg

Online Grumblebuns

Re: Early S2 Electrical Questions
« Reply #1 on: Monday,August 29, 2016, 04:08:15 PM »
This is all supposition on my part from looking at the S2 manual and wiring diagram but these are my thoughts.

The service manual drawings of the braking system shows all LHD and Federal S2s having a tandem MC and a Sovy tank with low level warning float which implies that you should have a brake warning light on the dash. Knowing Lotus past history, perhaps some examples left the factory with single circuit MCs.

Regarding the hazard switch, I don't believe Lotus installed dummy switches that didn't work. Going with the wiring diagram, I believe all S2s came with hazard switches and flasher. Your configuration sounds like the work of a PO. 

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #2 on: Monday,August 29, 2016, 05:52:42 PM »
My S2 didn't come with hazards, or at least there was nothing present in the wiring harness.  You might want to look at the drivers handbook (found here http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/s2owner/index.htm ).

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Monday,August 29, 2016, 06:42:40 PM »
All S2s had power windows.

Only the Federal spec S2s came with a brake fail warning and hazards.  If you have two wiper arms, it's a federal spec car.

Check the early and later S2 owners manuals in the link above for confirmation.

Offline bozman

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,August 30, 2016, 02:52:33 AM »
I have one wiper arm. 

Offline buzzer

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,August 30, 2016, 03:17:21 AM »
One wiper arm, right hand drive set up, a hole for a second wiper?
U.K. Specs no brake fail light and a single brake circuit, no hazards, or any other fancy warning lights.
Radio was an option too.
Over the last 45 years it may have gone through a lot of changes too!

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline bozman

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,August 30, 2016, 03:24:44 AM »
It's a left hand drive setup. And it has the "Europe" tag which means (apparently) it was destined for Germany. It also had the European plate numbers originally. 

My guess is that the hazards were added at the factory as part of the German requirements. And some previous owner stripped it out for some reason. Just seems strange considering most of the other items are relatively original.

Thanks for all the input.

I'm going to install the hazard system since I have the switch, and probably just put a dummy bulb in the brake fail location.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,August 30, 2016, 07:17:51 AM »
They may have put a hazard warning light light there.