Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Hello

<< < (6/6)

Cheguava:
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Further digging suggests that the petrol locks might be similar to those used in the 1960s/70s for digger ignition keys and also their diesel tanks. Found one for sale for a couple of quid so will have a try with that when it arrives. For the door keys, and maybe the ignition, looks like there is a UK firm that cuts them to the number, although I need to find out the key brand and type as well as number.
https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=6023.msg65168#msg65168

So that was two steps hopefully in a forward direction. However, the post about Federal tail lights made me realise that my UK car has Federal light clusters  ::) so one step back.

Off for a few days at the end of the week, and will pick up again with the car on my return.

EuropaTC:

--- Quote from: Cheguava on Tuesday,April 23, 2024, 02:34:01 PM ---So that was two steps hopefully in a forward direction. However, the post about Federal tail lights made me realise that my UK car has Federal light clusters  ::) so one step back.

--- End quote ---

I can vaguely remember at one point when parts supply was poor from Lotus and fading fast, the Federal light lenses were being sold as a cheaper alternative to the UK spec ones. So a previous owner may have decided to refresh the car with those. Or, just as likely, Lotus ran out of UK spec lenses and shoved in what they had on the shelf when the car was made !

Brian

Cheguava:
Didn't know that about US lenses being sold here - hopefully meeting up with the previous but one owner tomorrow who had the car from 1980 to 2004  he lives 5 miles down the road from me! Hopefully may shed a bit of light on some of the features.

Speaking of which, the key for the fuel tanks is either the wrong one or the lock is gummed/rusted up. Worth a go for a couple of quid.  On a happier note, the demister vents which looked very unhappy due to exposure sans windscreen for years cleaned up with the help of a stripping disc and then got a few coats of wrinkle finish paint, which when baked for half an hour at 200F in the oven, gave a similar finish to those being sold now by suppliers, and hopefully look vaguely original?

Sadly my oven is just too tight to fit the cam cover, but the gas bbq should do the job when I get that far...

dakazman:
  Hey Some S2’s have the same cap . I agree they look much better.
Dakazman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version