Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Hello

(1/6) > >>

Cheguava:
Hi, just introducing myself as a new Europa owner, one so new the car hasn't arrived yet, so the anticipation is high, and nothing has gone wrong yet!

It's a late 1971 Twin Cam, bought to restore to its original pistachio green.  The bodywork restoration is going to (famous last words) be the biggest challenge - there's no crash damage but the car was resprayed black, and there are several layers of paint in places, and my plan is to do the bodywork prep myself and get the top coats sprayed by a professional. Will be doing as much reading on this site and others as I can before wading in, apologies in advance for the stupid questions that will undoubtedly be asked.

Photos will follow when the car arrives and I can really get an idea of what I've let myself in for. I've restored a few cars, rechassised a 2cv and had a scimitar GTE 30 years ago so I have some vaguely transferable skills, but this is going to be interesting.

Just a bit about me, I'm Yorkshire based, late 50's and an incurable optimist, so I'm aiming for completion by summer 2025.

Best wishes,

Jeff

S2Zetec54:
 :Welcome:

Hi Jeff, well done on your purchase….sounds very exciting. I had a couple of SE5a, don't see many around these days.

All the very best with the project

Best wishes

Andrew

EuropaTC:
Hi Jeff and welcome aboard !

If you've owned and worked on a Scimitar GTE then a Europa is going to feel like a toy. We also had an SE5a when we lived in Outlane (sound familiar  ?  ;)  ) and every job on that was like a workout with a sadistic gym trainer. We only had it 12 months because after replacing the exhaust system, petrol tank, back axle, springs & dampers all round I was getting fed up with the weight training. And despite replacing window & door seals I never managed to stop it leaking either so I gave up with it. A pity because when it went well it was great, very practical.

So, is the project a local (UK) car or are you importing one like a few others on here ?  Pistachio is a good colour choice, very 60s/70s and having seen it before I think it suits the car.

cheers
Brian

4129R:
Welcome. I have just finished restoring a February 1972 TC, (and 6 x 1973-1974 TCSs) so I have just trodden your path.

Don't be afraid to ask anything however trivial or stupid you think by asking. We are all learning all the time, and all help each other out.

As your car is over 50 years old, lots of things will have worn out, wiring loom, everything rubber, brake pads, brake shoes, etc, etc.

Good luck,

Alex in Norfolk.

berni29:
Hello and welcome!

Funnily enough I am also awaiting the arrival of my 1st Lotus Europa project. It should be here on the 20th. I will do a hello post on the day.

Is your car the original looking Vincent Haydon car with the cosmic wheels? If so I was going to buy that myself, but at the time I could not get another Lotus past my wife. Some very clever manoeuvring and man math on my part has made the seemingly impossible possible though.

All the best

Berni

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version