Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Europa TCST

<< < (2/192) > >>

BDA:
That's what I remembered! Thanks for posting that, JB! I had forgotten is was done by Checkpoint America - I believe it was started by Dan Gurney.

TurboFource:
Nice! I like the part "will out accelerate a Daytona Ferrari from 0 a 120 mph"!

CWTech did not use a kit , he did (or had made) all the parts he used.

TurboFource:
My first challenge will be trying to get a jack under a Europa with four flat tires.....

cwtech:
As far as Checkpoint America, I don't believe Dan Gurney had any involvement.  ...Back in 1974, when I spoke with them, it was owned by Bob (Vanderhoof) or (Vanderhoot).  [CRS strikes again!]  :headbanger:

The Checkpoint America conversion was not sold as a kit.  ...Turbo installations had to be done by them.  ...That is why I designed my own.

Checkpoint America used a Rajay turbo, which did have a seal on the suction side.  ...Air Research also had a small turbo which used a seal on the suction side.  ...At that time, it was very difficult to purchase a single turbo, as those companies wanted to deal on a larger scale.

Crane Cams (in Hollandale, Florida) was just getting into the turbo business and selling components.  ...They were in process of developing kits, but that never progressed.  ...I became a Crane distributor (long story) and was able to buy direct from them.  ...They used Schwitzer turbos, which had a "piston-ring" type seal on the suction side, and were not good if subjected to high manifold vacuum.

The Schwitzer turbo was fine for a blow-thru (the carb) system, but weighing the pros & cons, I wanted a draw-thru system ...I incorporated a design to isolate the compressor side of the turbo from manifold vacuum, yet it could still "free-wheel" to reduce turbo lag. 

Back then there was little information about turbocharging available.  ...Many people that knew wouldn't talk, and many people that talked, didn't know!   ...I learned a lot through trial & error.

TurboFource:
First challenge accomplished, it was quite fun to get a jack under with four flats. Now on four dollies😉

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version