Author Topic: Thermostat position.  (Read 728 times)

Offline Gmg31

Thermostat position.
« on: Friday,October 13, 2017, 09:28:03 AM »
There's an interesting discussion on the FB Europa page today about the positioning of the thermostat in Renault engined cars. The manual  clearly indicates that the thermostat should be fitted partly inside the water pump. My discussion with Richard indicates that the manual is wrong.  He says the thermostat should be fitted inside the bulb in the top hose, just outside the water pump and held in place by clips.  I am not questioning Richard btw. But I wonder if members know why there are two differing views on this.

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Thermostat position.
« Reply #1 on: Friday,October 13, 2017, 09:53:15 AM »
Richard is only moving the thermostat a couple of inches out from the water pump outlet. Did he say what difference this makes to the operation of the thermostat? Maybe I'm not understanding the issue correctly.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #2 on: Friday,October 13, 2017, 10:16:57 AM »
I think the design of the thermostat has changed since they were first manufactured. Richard said "we've been doing it this way way for 30 years" which is almost 20 years after they were launched.  The diagram of the thermostat from the manual is very different to the modern replacement.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Friday,October 13, 2017, 12:47:14 PM »
Both statements are correct.  The bulb end goes partially into the water pump outlet and the body of the thermostat is in the hose.