Author Topic: Sold: Pertronix III distributor and Flame Thrower III Coil  (Read 1394 times)

Offline literarymadness

Sold: Pertronix III distributor and Flame Thrower III Coil
« on: Monday,March 18, 2019, 03:14:12 PM »
Pertronix III 45D style non-vac advance distributor 12v negative side exit (#D71190509) with Flame Thrower III coil.  Only used for a couple hundred miles.  I decided I wanted something programmable, so I replaced it with a 123 Ignitions Bluetooth.

$200 plus shipping (whatever the stock rate is to your Zip)

Wesley
« Last Edit: Friday,March 22, 2019, 02:47:40 PM by literarymadness »

Offline surfguitar58

Re: FS Pertronix III distributor and Flame Thrower III Coil
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,March 19, 2019, 07:14:22 AM »
As the snooty French knight says in the Holy Grail; "No thanks... I've already got one." BUT!!! I am curious about your thought process. Why are you swapping?
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,March 19, 2019, 07:00:01 PM »
I actually went for a more expensive one that does more.  The 123 ignition distributor is Bluetooth so I can control everything from an app on my android phone.  I can set up to six points of advance (I only use 4). My static timing is set at 12 degrees advance and after experimenting I have the 123 set at 7.5 degrees at 1500 rpm (19.5 total advance), 17 degrees at 3000 (31 total), 21 degrees at 5000 rpm (33 total), and 27  degrees at 8000 rpm (I actually have the 123 rev limiter set at 7000 so max is 36 degrees). I can store multiple curves and adjust the timing advance in real time while driving (up or down one degree).  I' m running a hot street cam (268 duration and .381 lift).  The problem with the Pertronix is it is one size fits all.  But I have to admit the Pertronix  III gave me good numbers and definitely is better than the Pertronix II.

Wesley

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,March 20, 2019, 08:40:16 AM »
Very cool. Way beyond my needs at this point. Besides the hot cam, what else have you done that lets you feel comfortable reving to 8000 rpm?
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,March 20, 2019, 07:53:28 PM »
8000 rpm is the limit of the 123 Ignition curve and you have to set  a value there so I put one in.   But my rev limiter is set to kick in at 7000 rpm (it is a soft limiter by the way), so I will never see that 8000 rpm.  I  wanted a steady climb from 5000 rpm up to limit, so this way there was no need to program another point in the curve at 7000 rpm. I was told from a earlier previous owner that he put in high compression pistons, but I haven't gotten around to verifying it yet. I also have headers.  I am getting about 30 hp above stock at the wheel, so I guessing it is probably true.  Aluminum flywheel should be in by the weekend. I'm pretty stoked.

Wesley

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,March 21, 2019, 04:56:33 AM »
I wouldn’t go anywhere near 8K unless you have a steel crank and valve springs meant for that type of use. Just sayin......

Offline 2766R

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,March 21, 2019, 06:12:16 AM »
PM sent.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Thursday,March 21, 2019, 10:02:08 AM »
Aluminum flywheel should be in by the weekend. I'm pretty stoked.

Wesley
I will be very interested to hear your thoughts on the aluminium flywheel once fitted and running.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor