Author Topic: The Italian connection 3522r  (Read 18663 times)

Offline BDA

Re: The Italian connection 3522r
« Reply #45 on: Sunday,April 07, 2019, 05:59:36 AM »
Lou, you and Grandpa are welcome any time! It would be an even better treat if you drove your car down here!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #46 on: Sunday,April 07, 2019, 09:45:00 AM »
Lou, you and Grandpa are welcome any time! It would be an even better treat if you drove your car down here!

Thanks for the open invite...I will plan to be down south some time in the early fall around September, right now it's a little hectic. Dan will be heading to Italy for Easter and will stay for two months. Then It's my turn around July or August if things go well for me medically. I would love to visit you and family and test the Europa for an extended trip.  Cheers !....ld

Offline BDA

« Reply #47 on: Sunday,April 07, 2019, 09:51:52 AM »
Sounds great! I hope to see you and your brother in September! I didn't say it before because I hope it goes without saying that I'm praying that you stay healthy too!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #48 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 07:23:25 PM »
Flight...check, rental car...check, documents...check.

Just two more weeks and it's first to the Imola auto and bike jumble. Check out their web site, biggest in southern Europe.The Monza grand Prix is also in the books the following weekend. I will be solo this trip as my better half tends to a sickly cat, hence  plenty of wheel time and exhaust fumes. Vic's got the Europa ready and waiting...

http://www.crame.it/imola-mostra-scambio.asp?ms2=8
« Last Edit: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 07:29:51 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #49 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 07:40:03 PM »
 That sounds like a great trip! Give our best to your brother and be sure to keep us informed about adventures!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #50 on: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 04:21:25 AM »
Have a great road trip Lou! Keep us informed.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #51 on: Monday,August 12, 2019, 08:36:19 AM »
I'm jealous of the autojumble. That sounds like a day well spent. Enjoy the trip, Lou.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #52 on: Sunday,September 15, 2019, 03:51:19 AM »
Mille Miglia...as the say in Italian, one thousand miles was the theme this time around during my visit to sunny Italy. The weather could not have been any better, with sunny days and cool nights which allowed plenty of seat time in 3522R. My brother Vic had the Europa in perfect tune, as we ventured the open coast roads and twisty mountain passes together.

Each drive most every day had something to remember, from the cobblestone lanes of the tiny castle villages to the smooth blacktop of the state highways. We turned heads and attracted plenty of attention when ever we parked.

The auto jumble at Imola was one for the books. The throng of bargain seekers descended to find the entire circuit lined with vendors and their wares. Classic cars and bikes on display...that hard to find part was only a memory, all you needed was to seek it out.
I made it a point to visit the Senna memorial at the curva Tosa and the corner just past Tamburello where it all ended. To this day there are fresh flowers and tributes from around the world to honor his legacy.     

As the Gods would have it...Ferrari arose from their slumber and finally gave the people what they have been waiting for. The victory at Spa had everyone pumped, then again at Monza was incredible to whiteness. The church bells sounded the Tifosi went wild and the country forgot it troubles for a few hours... Glorius just Glorius

I kept my record streak in tact...a run in with the police was once again on the agenda. This time for a parking violation. If you are not familiar with the registration tag on the windscreen...there is a little hourly thumb wheel attached. You set it to indicate your time of departure...well silly me, a stop at a cafe got me into a heated discussion with a local enforcer. Seeing me pull in to a spot at a town square marked for one hour, once out of eyesight he wrote the violation some five minutes later. All my reasoning had no effect, as I reminded him of my ten minute stop, and my failure to turn the thumb was a very expensive cappucino twenty eight euro fine.

I was once again reminded of how much fun it is to drive these perfect handling machines, the time spent tossing it around was well rewarded and brought perfect enjoyment each time Vic said "more throttle lets go "     

« Last Edit: Sunday,September 15, 2019, 03:59:43 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #53 on: Sunday,September 15, 2019, 03:59:41 AM »
Auto/Bike Jumble at Imola...Older brother Dan with Vic looking for Ducati parts.
« Last Edit: Sunday,September 15, 2019, 04:03:15 AM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #54 on: Sunday,September 15, 2019, 06:28:23 AM »
It sounds like you're having a great time with your brothers (not counting your run in with the police)! That is one beautiful car to do it in too! Great scenes, weather, and family - could it get any better?

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #55 on: Sunday,September 15, 2019, 07:52:22 AM »
It sounds like you're having a great time with your brothers (not counting your run in with the police)! That is one beautiful car to do it in too! Great scenes, weather, and family - could it get any better?

Thanks,

That brings me to tell you how Vic parks his ride.

The "old" house in town was once used by my Grandparents as a home/store where wine was pressed, and grain and flour were sold. Built in the 1860's it has since been completely restored from the foundation up...

With a few exceptions, most of the exterior doors were reused...like the garage.

Try backing into a space with only three inches each side to wiggle in !

The solution can be seen in action...

Vic uses a template that is taped to the rear deck, it has a pointer and lines up directly under a light chain hanging from the upper door entrance. Kinda like the naval pilots use calling the "ball" when in carrier landings.

I always let him park.

(the blue colored time thumb wheel next to the registration sticker)     

« Last Edit: Sunday,September 15, 2019, 07:57:15 AM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #56 on: Sunday,September 15, 2019, 08:48:21 AM »
Very creative! Vic pretty much has to own a Europa so his car would fit into the garage!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #57 on: Monday,September 16, 2019, 08:48:41 AM »
Thanks for the report, Lou. It sounds like a wonderful place to spend time with a Europa. A great place from which to watch a Grand Prix as well, I imagine. Especially with a Ferrari victory. As for the auto jumble, I suppose showing up in a Europa is wise, limiting the volume of treasures you can lug home.

I'm glad it all went well, Lou. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #58 on: Monday,June 01, 2020, 06:32:26 AM »
Covid has put a damper on this year's plans, hopefully things are starting to loosen up. A recent weekend call to Vic has no new cases and the Hospital's have cleared out. It looks like September might be the time to head back...

Offline BDA

« Reply #59 on: Monday,June 01, 2020, 06:51:54 AM »
EuropaTC emailed this link to me (https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-italy-virus/new-coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-doctor-says-idUKKBN2370OP) which is very good news for all of us but especially Italy. September may be very realistic. I hope it could be sooner!