Author Topic: Some assembly required....  (Read 244 times)

Offline TurboFource

Some assembly required....
« on: Friday,December 31, 2021, 01:58:37 PM »
I have been helping my son install a new exhaust "kit" on the SVO Mustang I sold him to help finance my Europa project. It has a 3" down pipe, catalytic converter into 2 2.5" Mufflers with 2.5" Flowmaster SS tailpipes. So far this adventure started with a misaligned down pipe that had to be returned because it pointed towards the ground instead of the back of the car("it was made in a jig"). We welded the converter to the crossover pipe and had to remove a section of that pipe and weld the expanded section back on so it would slide over the y-pipe which also needs shortening. Making progress.....some "fitting required" has involved grinders, TIG welder etc...... ???

This would have been more fun if we could get the car in the garage but there is this small mid-engine Sportscars that is in many pieces that I had hoped would be a rolling chassis by now that is taking up a lot room :huh:
« Last Edit: Friday,December 31, 2021, 02:00:38 PM by TurboFource »
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline BDA

Re: Some assembly required....
« Reply #1 on: Friday,December 31, 2021, 03:00:54 PM »
Having seen pictures of examples of your welding, I'd say you are the right man for the job!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,February 20, 2022, 11:21:48 AM »
My son is home for the weekend so having more exhaust system fun. They sent us a new down pipe because the flange angle was wrong ( "it can't be wrong it was made in a jig" ), I think the distance is wrong too as you couldn't get the catalytic converter low enough to clear the tranny crossmember, so I cut off the flange piping, moved it 3/4" and welded it back on......

Hopefully Lotus work tomorrow!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,February 20, 2022, 02:52:39 PM »
   Turbo, you definitely save him some big bucks instead of going to a muffler shop.
       Nice work.

Dakazman

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,February 20, 2022, 04:17:01 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if being able to fix all this mess is blessing or a curseā€¦..it certainly keeps me busy!
« Last Edit: Sunday,February 20, 2022, 06:38:36 PM by TurboFource »