Author Topic: More 4 lotus program on tonight.  (Read 332 times)

Offline Pete

More 4 lotus program on tonight.
« on: Tuesday,June 01, 2021, 02:50:08 PM »
Anyone in the U.K. should watch the more 4 program. With Phil glenister. They are restoring a lotus elite.
Great show.
Europa S2 1970 great car
Me complete novice mechanic..
Let’s see how the restore goes.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: More 4 lotus program on tonight.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,June 01, 2021, 11:44:23 PM »
Anyone in the U.K. should watch the more 4 program. With Phil glenister. They are restoring a lotus elite.
Great show.
£40,000 to buy, and £40,000 to restore to racing condition sound expensive to me.

I didn't realise it has no chassis, just a fibreglass body monocoque.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,June 02, 2021, 06:41:30 AM by 4129R »

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,June 02, 2021, 02:10:42 AM »
I think there was some dispute at one time over the authenticity of the car's history and/or its identification, which was resolved in the end.

What a lovely little car!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,June 02, 2021, 08:16:02 AM »
Sounds interesting. I'd tune in to that, if it was available. Love the Elite.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,June 02, 2021, 10:04:04 AM »
Very strange for such a valuable car to have the engine coming from a fire engine's water pump.

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,June 02, 2021, 02:04:32 PM »
There’s a bit of info that may be of interest on the Coventry Climax engine here;

https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-magazine/coventry-climaxs-inline-four-evolved-water-pumper-to-racing-live-wire/

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,June 02, 2021, 02:36:51 PM »
Very good article! Are we to conclude from it that they never upgraded to five main bearings even in their F1 engines?

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Thursday,June 03, 2021, 10:19:46 AM »
Very strange for such a valuable car to have the engine coming from a fire engine's water pump.
Considering the Climax's excellent specification, necessary for it's designed application, its being repurposed as an F1 or featherweight sportscar engine was a stroke of genius in thinking 'outside the box'.

When I was an apprentice at the Navy Dockyard in the late 80s/early 90s, I was surprised to find a plethora of portable Coventry Climax powered fire pumps laying around. The pump units were regularly abused by their operators in ways only a sailor can, and so the engine shop was overhauling them on a regular basis. In those days my head was more focused on American muscle cars than sports cars, but I liked sports cars too, and the significance of these engines was not lost on me. Eventually they were superseded by more modern units, and one day I went snooping around the shop to see what obsolete bits might be hanging around. I learned that all of the pump units (possibly 20 or more) went to a Crown Assets auction (where they would have been picked up for a song). But horror of horrors, I also learned that just a month earlier, during a shop clean-up, dozens of OEM overhaul kits and hundreds of spare parts of all description (pistons, cranks, everything) went straight to the dumpster. :o In amongst that lot would have been a significant number of parts that I imagine would be exceedingly difficult or impossible to find at the time, not to mention, today.
« Last Edit: Thursday,June 03, 2021, 10:25:10 AM by Bainford »
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor