Author Topic: When is the herd to big?  (Read 3430 times)

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
Re: When is the herd to big?
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,February 28, 2019, 02:47:38 AM »
Is the herd too big?! - I would say that its only too big when you look at some of them and no longer enjoy owning them...?
I may not get chance to use all of mine as much as I would like to but the opportunity to roll one of them out for however short amount of time still exists whilst I still have them and I like having the option of a wide variety (built up over a fair few years now) to cover whatever mood I might be in - if that makes sense?!!! The memory of that quick blast helps to make it through the boring days when I can't get near them!
Limiting factor is now turning out to be having the space to keep them all - plus side is there is less grass to have to cut now!
For the record, current fleet contains;
3 Land Rover - Towing duties, everyday work miles and comfy family car
5 Lotus - I just like them!
1 Caterham - See above!
1 BMW - Mrs' car
3 Motorbikes - Fun!
2 Boats (one 12ft 6" Sailing boat, one 30ft Motor cruiser) - Relaxation mostly
1 PWC - arm stretchingly good fun on the water at speed!

Jon

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #16 on: Thursday,February 28, 2019, 09:24:33 AM »
Gee, now that is a collection !  How on earth do you keep up with that lot, have you got a barn to store them in ?

But good on you, if you like them and have the space, then why on earth not. I don't do many miles in our cars and I know folks say "you might as well sell xxx" but I get more pleasure from tinkering with them than I ever would from numbers on a bank account. I suspect we're like minded.....

Brian

err, what's a "PWC" ?  I was thinking a jet ski but no idea really what one is.

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #17 on: Thursday,February 28, 2019, 11:35:45 AM »
Yeah, as I was typing it out I was thinking that it looks a little excessive....but they really have built up over time and some weren't overly intentional, more opportunities that couldn't be missed!

A barn would be nice! Lucky to have a decent amount of land with a variety of garages/workshops that have been added with each new addition.

I get the same comments about selling something I haven't used in a while but like you said, I too would rather be tinkering - nothing on the tv anyway!! Plus, they are only worth something now because of the time and effort I've put into them over the years and once completed don't cost a huge amount to keep. There are a couple on the list that are projects but not much more than just a case of putting them back together again - time is the thing I am short of at the moment.

PWC = Personal Water Craft. Was just avoiding the Kawasaki trade name of Jet Ski as I prefer Yamahas!!

Jon

Offline dakazman

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,February 28, 2019, 04:40:00 PM »
 :trophy: Jon
    I had a sailboat but without a/c In 98degree heat just was not fun.
However I’ll plan on looking into a PWC and will look into your recommendation.

Europa, I watched to many accounts go down, so I agree with you there.

Surf, this is not a joke this time , I was teaching my granddaughter how to pick out tools😀
Dakazman

Offline StephenH

« Reply #19 on: Thursday,February 28, 2019, 08:12:12 PM »
For me the herd was too big when I had to justify to myself what the next one was for.

1st time I did this (years ago) was motorcycles and I think it was when I went >10 that actually worked plus close to that that were projects, donors or just good ideas at the time.
Now I have come down to a single motorcycle and have found someone to take it on as a project (as I know I won't finish it).

I reached the same point of 'why' again more recently with cars, so bought a Lotus Elise and said 'because I want one'.
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #20 on: Thursday,February 28, 2019, 09:24:26 PM »
PWC = Personal Water Craft. Was just avoiding the Kawasaki trade name of Jet Ski as I prefer Yamahas!!

:)  Just goes to prove once again that "every day is a school day" - I didn't even realise the term "Jet Ski" was a trade name, I thought they were all "jet skis" .  Yet again I've learnt something from this interweb thing - how on earth did we manage in the olden days ?

Brian

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #21 on: Friday,March 01, 2019, 03:27:32 AM »
:trophy: Jon
    I had a sailboat but without a/c In 98degree heat just was not fun.
However I’ll plan on looking into a PWC and will look into your recommendation.

We don't get anything like that sort of temperature here!! - I don't doubt for a second that it wasn't fun!!

My Yamaha preference stems from some years ago when most where 2 stroke (again, my preference!) and other brands had a reputation for breaking often - being stranded out at sea is not on my list of to do's!! Now the vast majority of PWC are 4 stroke and pretty much the only real difference between them is the colour and manufacturers badge stuck to it(!) so you can't really go wrong with any of them as they are all pretty good. Really good fun though.

StephenH, any particular motorcycles that you have a weakness for?

Brian, I don't think you are alone there - just like 'Hoovering' is what you do with your Dyson vacuum cleaner and I frequently get asked about my Jeep (Land Rover Defender!!! AArrrggghh!!!), the vast majority of people could identify a Jet Ski even if it was actually a Waverunner (Yamahas trade name!!!).....lol. Just a bit of trivia really.

Jon