Author Topic: When is the herd to big?  (Read 3429 times)

Offline dakazman

When is the herd to big?
« on: Thursday,February 21, 2019, 06:29:59 PM »
Things break! Corvette clutch discs come apart....That’s why we have mechanics. Having 9 vechicles now it seems to be sucking up a lot of time . Not to mention house and lawn , pool , and other chores...and the honey do list.
So when do you say enough? I think I’m at my limit. Or just venting?
Dakazman

Offline BDA

Re: When is the herd to big?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,February 21, 2019, 06:52:51 PM »
Nine vehicles? I guess it depends on what kind of vehicles you have. Are you clogging up space with mini vans, Priuses, or AMC Gremlins? I'd say it's definitely time to thin the herd (although, a friend of mine has a Prius and he loves it!).

But then, I only have four, the youngest is the PT Cruiser of 2008 and the oldest, other than the Lotus, is my 2005 MB C230 so no danger of exploding clutches. Maybe you could pave your yard, fill in your pool, and hire somebody for the "other chores."

If you haven't retired yet, you might soon and then you'll need a project car. Another Lotus would fill that slot.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #2 on: Friday,February 22, 2019, 02:55:56 AM »
9 and all the other home responsibilities? ouch! We're down to out truck. The daughters take care of their cars maintenance. And the Europa, well, it ain't making no noise....
AMC Gremlin? Always liked them. Saw one on mkt place. asking price was $30K.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Friday,February 22, 2019, 03:47:32 AM »
I’ve got seven. Three are for daily use, a pickup truck for all the stuff you need one for (I live in the country) and three Lotus’. My aim is to pair down to 4 and maybe even 3.

And like you Dave I have a house and property that requires a lot of attention. Plus I’m still working full time.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Friday,February 22, 2019, 04:07:38 AM »
 The only one not heard from is the Lotus, the elky is a work in progress with a completion estimate of another $1,200 in parts but trying to repair the rockchester qjet the po has on it. I just put it on and now after teardown found the primary jets and rods all different sizes. I ordered those parts so it will be running again shortly.
    But what I really hate is when I got a flat on the van and also on the vette , some time back, due to cracked valve stem the tire shops won’t work on them till I replace the tires due to age. Batteries not lasting more than 4 years .

Andy , sometimes 10 bc the daughter that’s living away let’s me fix her car and change the oil.
Bc the boyfriend can’t 😡

BDA, I’m trying to stay focused...lol.

Certified, part time Grandpa that I love doing.LOL see pic.
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Friday,February 22, 2019, 04:18:05 AM by dakazman »

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Friday,February 22, 2019, 05:48:43 AM »
Looks like you're bringing up a good helper!

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #6 on: Friday,February 22, 2019, 05:51:31 AM »
I believe she qualifies as a BA (Beautiful Assistant).
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline dakazman

« Reply #7 on: Friday,February 22, 2019, 07:12:11 AM »
Okay seriously, that’s not my granddaughter! My wife hates when I post any family pictures.
Occasionally I do 🤪. But not this time.
Dave

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #8 on: Friday,February 22, 2019, 08:07:36 AM »
I've limited myself to 3 vehicles until I have everything restored and running. My Lotus is my daily driver, weather permitting. My Ford F150 is the carry stuff truck and my MGB GT  is in the barn waiting for good weather to be finished. I also own 4 acres and a 34 foot wooden boat.

My neighbor must have 12 cars now, he will never catch up even though he's retired. I'm not going to let myself get in that situation.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #9 on: Friday,February 22, 2019, 09:06:10 AM »
"Andy , sometimes 10 bc the daughter that’s living away let’s me fix her car and change the oil.
Bc the boyfriend can’t 😡"
Good one.
Daughters have figured out they can't rely on me much since I retired.
And lucked out with the youngest - her boyfriends dad is a "auto mechanic", with a shop!!!
So, he gets some work from the daughters, lol

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #10 on: Friday,February 22, 2019, 10:00:20 AM »
Is 9 too many ? I would say that for me, it's too big a job.

But it depends on what you want to do with them, if it's only you or several drivers. plus of course if you have the space to store/garage/use them.  I found when we crept up to 6 cars I lost enjoyment.  We had 2 "moderns" which the missus & I used for going to work, then 4 "classics" which in those days meant an old car that needed lots of maintenance otherwise it broke just when you didn't want it to.  With a full time job it seemed I was going from one to the next in a continual circle and as I say, it lost enjoyment because I wanted to do more than just fettle cars.

These days we're steady on 5. Lotus Elan, Europa & Elise in one garage, Porsche Cayman and Suzuki Vitara as the "moderns". But being retired means the Lotus are now a hobby and of course in the UK, owning a "classic" is much easier on the wallet these days. We've got plenty of space for more and sometimes I think "a van would be handy", but then I think of all the other things I want to do and there just ain't enough hours in the day  :)

Brian

Offline dakazman

« Reply #11 on: Friday,February 22, 2019, 07:02:34 PM »
  Brian , i did neglect to say three driver here . 2 are my daughters 2017 Honda Civic and the Honda Xl500r . She stepped out of the 2000 Tiberon, my life ode has the Hyundai Sonata hybrid and the van . The rest I ended up with thru the years .
Dave

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,February 23, 2019, 06:46:04 AM »
I also own 4 acres and a 34 foot wooden boat.

A wooden boat and a British car? You are a glutton for punishment after my own heart. I switched over to a fiberglass boat, but it is still 55 years old (1964 Cal 40) and needs constant TLC. What kind of boat is it ‘70?
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #13 on: Saturday,February 23, 2019, 08:47:07 AM »

A wooden boat and a British car? You are a glutton for punishment after my own heart. I switched over to a fiberglass boat, but it is still 55 years old (1964 Cal 40) and needs constant TLC. What kind of boat is it ‘70?
Tom
I wonder how I ever had time to work!

The boat is a 1956 Cape Sable, Nova Scotia lobster boat that's been converted to a cruiser. It's not fast but very seaworthy. Yeah, 2 British cars and an old boat, pretty crazy but I like old stuff.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,February 23, 2019, 09:56:30 AM »

Tom
I wonder how I ever had time to work!

The boat is a 1956 Cape Sable, Nova Scotia lobster boat that's been converted to a cruiser. It's not fast but very seaworthy. Yeah, 2 British cars and an old boat, pretty crazy but I like old stuff.

“Novies” are still in active use lobstering where I live (Marblehead MA). Great boats, they go out in all kinds of weather year round, while us delicate yachties haul our boats in the fall. I get a kick out of the Hinckley “lobster yachts” based on a Novie design that go for upwards of $500k. Still waiting to see one of those loaded with bait and traps stinking up a storm.
Tom
Antoine de Saint-Exupery