Author Topic: 74 Lotus Europa TCS Brake Boosters  (Read 431 times)

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
74 Lotus Europa TCS Brake Boosters
« on: Friday,May 13, 2022, 06:24:51 AM »
Good morning everyone...I am new to the lotus community and am looking for some assistance on how to eliminate the boosters on the car and reconfigure the brakes line so that everything works. I will go with a 0.70 bore MC and if it is a single system so be it. This car sat unattended for over 40 years in the rafters and I am redoing it completely since it is all original. I will keep as much of the original parts as possible but will not compromise where parts are worn or rusted out.
If there is someone in Lotus land that can provide detailed info on the conversion it would be greatly appreciated

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
Re: 74 Lotus Europa TCS Brake Boosters
« Reply #1 on: Friday,May 13, 2022, 07:26:33 AM »
Good morning everyone...I am new to the lotus community and am looking for some assistance on how to eliminate the boosters on the car and reconfigure the brakes line so that everything works. I will go with a 0.70 bore MC and if it is a single system so be it. This car sat unattended for over 40 years in the rafters and I am redoing it completely since it is all original. I will keep as much of the original parts as possible but will not compromise where parts are worn or rusted out.
If there is someone in Lotus land that can provide detailed info on the conversion it would be greatly appreciated

lots of stuff in this subboard...just scroll through the messages.  Like this one, which was the latest that I started:

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=5111.0

Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #2 on: Friday,May 13, 2022, 08:20:49 AM »
With the number of owners who have removed their booster, I'm surprised that no one has written up instructions over the years (post internet). Bud, I removed mine not too long ago. If no one else posts anything before hand, I'll send you a writeup on how I did mine this evening.

Edit: I got home too late to crawl under my TCS to confirm the tubing layout. I'll try to get something out by this weekend.

Joji Tokumoto
« Last Edit: Friday,May 13, 2022, 04:21:15 PM by Grumblebuns »

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #3 on: Friday,May 13, 2022, 08:57:23 AM »
With the number of owners who have removed their booster, I'm surprised that no one has written up instructions over the years (post internet). Bud, I removed mine not too long ago. If no one else posts anything before hand, I'll send you a writeup on how I did mine this evening.

Joji Tokumoto

I was going to look at the notes and do just that, Joji...but was too flushed with success when I bled the damn things successfully last weekend that I lost track of time basking in the thought of the things working.

The only change I made to the booster delete pipes was something a couple folks mentioned: don't just put in a 180 degree bend...the proper shape is more like a shepherd's crook...something having to do with fluid dynamics and inertia...same reason long pipelines have expansion bends in them.  Since fluid was not my strong suit...RF was...it seems to work out ok.  Well, at least 1) I have full pedal now, and 2) the car comes to a stop.  That's something, right?
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Online Kendo

« Reply #4 on: Friday,May 13, 2022, 10:55:23 AM »
Joji and Bryan, since no one has written the definitive description, maybe this thread could become the repository of your detailed descriptions? Then we’d have something to point to.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,May 15, 2022, 12:09:16 PM »
I just posted a writeup on booster elimination.