Author Topic: Only a half step back  (Read 471 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
Only a half step back
« on: Monday,May 02, 2022, 05:15:30 AM »
Saturday 30 April:

Well, spent some quality time on 3291R.  New dizzy, low resistance coil, still futzing with those blasted strombergs with the euro needles, but, set for 10 degrees advance…kicks right over. 

Got to loose 500 rpm somewhere.  Emission plate in the engine room says timing at idle is supposed to be tdc, static 5 degrees (but the pertronix-II can’t be set statically.). Thoughts?  Never replaced the throttle shaft seals...maybe that's the last step (though, squirting ether around the base of the carbs or at the ends of the throttle shafts produce no change in idle...and my plugs say that I'm still rich.)  Oh well...sort it out...may be that I've not cleaned out the cylinders with a good hard run down the superslab...got to wait to finish the brakes...)

And looks like the oil leak is from the head drain tube in back of the carbs…crappy job to replace in situ…and from the oil pan area at the front left. 

Have new oil pan gaskets…but that means dropping the exhaust.  Always 2 steps forward, one back…But coolant level is steady, engine runs smooth…albeit idle at 1200…lol.

I have the US needles…was thinking of swapping them in and see if it makes a difference.

Update:

Sunday 1 May:

More digging around.  And, discovered a couple things along the way:

1. The oil pan bolts were uniformly loose.  Like some at least a quarter turn loose.  So...7/16 on an extension, rear of car on jack stands, and tightened them all nice an snug.  Probably NOT to the torque value in the book, but not loose either.  We'll see if that slows down the puddle of dino juice on my garage floor.  But as a fellow lister sent in an email...if a Ford block is not leaking, it's because it's empty...lol.  Also used a pair of mole grips (channel locks) and twisted the drain tube a bit.  That seems to have slowed down the leak, but still have a new one, and put it in a pan of boiling water to see if that loosens it up a bit so I can compress and get into its position in situ.  Seems to work ok, don't want to have to pull the head if I don't need to just to replace a rubber fitting...but have a line on a freshly overhauled head nonetheless, so...

2. Took the pistons out of the carbs, set needles to their lowest setting referenced to the BRASS fholder, not the nylon washer.  Was going to swap in what I thought were the set of US emission needles, but one had a tag on it that said "BAD".  So much for that idea.  Ordered a set from Ray with some other stuff...Put all back together.  Idles at 1050 or so now, if the tach can be trusted.  Getting there...Closer to being able to start on the brake system anyway. 

3. While on jack stands...looked at taking out the charcoal canister and now unused lucas ignition coil.  Think I'm going to stick with the pertronix dizzy and coil...seems to be running just fine.  Old dizzy is really knackered: the wiring inside (cloth covered) is all deteriorating to where you can see the copper...the old retard capsule was just hacked off the body.   Thinking it can be renovated and kept Just In Case, but with a low-impedence coil now in the car...may have to rebuild and upgrade to a pertronix module.  Right now?  Threw it in the 'removed bits' bin.  Got other things to do.

More later...
« Last Edit: Monday,May 02, 2022, 05:18:10 AM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline BDA

Re: Only a half step back
« Reply #1 on: Monday,May 02, 2022, 07:09:05 AM »
WRT Pertronix Ignitor II, I think your only option is to find a tuned TC, put a light on it when it’s idling and try to recreate that timing at that rpm. I “upgraded” to the Ignitor II and went back to my Ignitor I so I could statically time my motor.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #2 on: Monday,May 02, 2022, 07:38:21 AM »
Since you are relying on the tach to measure RPM, is the voltage stabilizer in order? Or do you have an external tach to compare it to?

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Monday,May 02, 2022, 07:54:10 AM »
It's best not to blindly trust the tach in the dash but the voltage stabilizer does not have anything to do with the tach.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #4 on: Monday,May 02, 2022, 02:07:56 PM »
And that's what I get for writing just after waking up ::).

At one point, I had my Strombergs with Euro needles running very well. I used a 4-column motorcycle carb balancer. (Obviously, with only two of the columns.) Then I took it to what ended up my last smog check. And the tech messed up that tune. Now I can't find the little vial of mercury for the balancer. I'll probably have to find a substitute. In any case, it can be done.

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 04:59:00 AM »
And that's what I get for writing just after waking up ::).

At one point, I had my Strombergs with Euro needles running very well. I used a 4-column motorcycle carb balancer. (Obviously, with only two of the columns.) Then I took it to what ended up my last smog check. And the tech messed up that tune. Now I can't find the little vial of mercury for the balancer. I'll probably have to find a substitute. In any case, it can be done.

yeah...I'd have to dig out my balancer sticks from the storage shed in PA and bring them up.  Used them last time I remember back in 06 or 07 on my CB750F4 to set the carbs up.  That was going to be my next step.  The feeds back from the (disconnected) charcoal canister to the base of the carbs are there (but blocked off) so it would be easy to get a vac signal there.  In fact...have 2 of the Smiths dash-mounted vacuum gauges...maybe plumb them in today and see if that works.  Hey, couldn't hurt, right?

Swapped in a second tach from my box o'spares collected over the years; they're within 100 RPM of each other, so pretty sure what I'm getting is what I'm getting. 

Oh, I know it can be done...with time and thought.  So...was more pleased that the thing reliably starts and runs at SOME speed for now; will work on the fine touches as time goes on...But pretty sure this engine is not on the young end of its life, but past middle age into its dotage...and in need of an "out-of-body experience" after this season is done and I get a few miles on her.  This is just an interim, not a final destination.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,July 12, 2022, 07:34:02 AM »
Stromberg's are a pain and need constant adjusting so I went with a set of SU H6 carbs that fit on without much difficulty and the car will run much better for a long time

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,July 24, 2022, 05:58:41 AM »
My TC has twin Hitachi SU carbs off of a 1970-71 240 z.  They are 46 mm si slightly larger than the Stromberg SU 1-3/4" carbs. 
They work great, and have a knurled knob on the bottom to easily adjust the jet position, thus the mixture.

They are pretty cheap on Ebay and are good to over 200 bhp on the 240z.

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,July 24, 2022, 11:15:47 AM »
My TC has twin Hitachi SU carbs off of a 1970-71 240 z.  They are 46 mm si slightly larger than the Stromberg SU 1-3/4" carbs. 
They work great, and have a knurled knob on the bottom to easily adjust the jet position, thus the mixture.

They are pretty cheap on Ebay and are good to over 200 bhp on the 240z.

I'm  kind of stashing away the info for later consideration; thanks all.  Right now, working on getting the back end up in the air (twerking) on platform ramps (to give me a foot or so plus normal ground clearance...figure 18-20" more so I can get underneath to remove the exhaust and oil pan to seal the bottom oil deluge out of the 50-years-old gaskets).  Carbies are running ok (for now); thinking this will be a 2023 era project. 

(Found a nice jack that can fit under the bottom of the rear upright with a 18" lift ability...should give me the height to push the ramps/platform, which have a 12" height  under the tires to get underneath safely.)
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA