Author Topic: New Parts!!!!  (Read 455 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
New Parts!!!!
« on: Wednesday,April 06, 2022, 10:33:10 AM »
Had the opportunity to stop by RD this morning to replenish my 'to be installed' parts stash...nice to catch up after a few years, pandemic, detour to an MGB...good to see old friends...I've been dealing with him for over 40 (!) years...and trust his insight as to what I need to have on hand for the near future.

Photo 1: Ray and his beautiful Elan.  If you want to see one done right...don't pass up the opportunity to see this one (I know, not a Europa...but it IS a Lotus, ok?)

Photo 2: New valve cover gasket...going to check the head torque and it's weeping oil anyway, so no time like the present...Pertronix distributor, low-resistance coil, new plug wires...high-torque starter...pair of stainless caliper pistons (I have a spare pair already)...caliper rebuild kit..."D" plugs for the head...seloc washers...caliper half seals...oil cap gasket.  I'm sure I'll need more, but for today, that's enough flogging of the checkbook...

Photo 3: 25' of cu/ni 3/16" brake line, and flare tool.

Pretty sure the OEM dizzy, after 50 years, and been hacked apart and so forth, is probably in need of attention...having an electronic ignition and high-power coil is probably not a bad decision; the starter sometimes seems to strain to turn the motor over...other times spins just fine...same thing...original Lucas starter...the high torque replacement worked well for me in the S2...so, why not?  Brake piping and flare tool was recommended by a couple of folks here, so, will be interesting to use it in the car to rip out the boosters and replumb the brakes (for now, all in the engine compartment to get on the road and bled...will work in the future on simplifying the piping, thus having a stock of piping...)

This should keep me busy as I move forward on getting her back on the road.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 06, 2022, 10:35:37 AM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline Sandyman

Re: New Parts!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,April 06, 2022, 01:57:53 PM »
Bryan, so jealous that you can visit our "drug?" Lotus Europa parts provider. Can't wait for more pictures of your ride.
Sandy

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,April 06, 2022, 07:03:49 PM »
Bryan, so jealous that you can visit our "drug?" Lotus Europa parts provider. Can't wait for more pictures of your ride.
Sandy

Ray's a good guy.  I've been doing business with him since I started on 444R back in 1981.  Never got steered wrong...and he does fill a void, especially helping us keep 50- and 60-year-old cars on the road. 
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,April 07, 2022, 05:33:33 PM »
Looking forward to your documentation of the TC restoration. Enjoyed the S2 you did a long time ago.

Joji Tokumoto

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,April 07, 2022, 07:47:22 PM »
Looking forward to your documentation of the TC restoration. Enjoyed the S2 you did a long time ago.

Joji Tokumoto

Thanks, Joji.  3291R is in a lot better shape than 693R was...I recall some of the folk on that list back then counseling breaking it up and starting over with a better example...thankfully, I'm a typical hard-headed irish/french...and did not take it lying down.  LOL.

But 15 years on...a bit less flexible and certainly a little slower than back then.  There's a certain deliberateness about this one that was not the case in '07 (or '98, or '82...).

I hope it's living a good life in the midwest, which is where the gent who adopted her is based.  Heard once from him back in '19 after he got it home...nothing more since then.
« Last Edit: Thursday,April 07, 2022, 07:49:43 PM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #5 on: Friday,April 22, 2022, 10:56:04 AM »
And yet some more parts...one for the leaking front crank seal (this is going to be an adventure getting the back end up in the air safely so I can crawl underneath...) and the breather tube between the head and block.  THAT looks like (based on the stiffness of the part and its location) going to be a cluster to put in without pulling the head (which I really really do not want to do...in situ...

And, just in case, an oil pan gasket set.  One never knows, right?  May be a good time to drop the pan, clean out the sludge, and freshen it up. 

Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA