Author Topic: Trimmed crash pad  (Read 442 times)

Offline Jesper

Trimmed crash pad
« on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 04:47:24 AM »
I bought a crash pad for my Twin Cam Special from Banks. Now I need to install the black vinyl cover on the crash pad.
What glue would you recommend and does anyone have any advice?

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Trimmed crash pad
« Reply #1 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 06:22:40 AM »
Contact adhesive.

Start with the centre, then do a little bit each side, stretching the fabric as you go.

If you glue it all at once, it will stick before you have stretched it, so lots of little steps.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #2 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 06:26:10 AM »
Weldwood Landau cement is the best. Weldwood makes a smaller regular one in a red can but I didn't want to risk it and this is made for heat. You are in Denmark though so heat probably isn't a concern.

You will also need "4 Way stretch vinyl" with a heat gun or blow dryer. It's the only way to wrap nicely it if you are not sewing the edges. Mines held up for 9 years so far.

As above said on in sticking. The glue shouldn't be wet but just air dry. Try samples and you'll get a feel of when it's dry enough.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #3 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 06:43:29 AM »
Do you paint the adhesive on the whole thing, then stretch bits at a time, or actually just paint it on bit by bit? For the second approach, I would think you’d spend a lot of time waiting for glue to tack dry. But maybe that’s what you have to do.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 06:59:46 AM »
Only put the glue on the little bits you are working on. Baby steps.

Offline Triton

« Reply #5 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 08:10:23 AM »
As everyone says, little bits at a time. On my first attempt i tried to glue it in one go and ended up with air pockets. Luckily i managed to carefully remove and got it right second time...

Offline Clifton

« Reply #6 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 08:38:29 AM »
On the dash, it is harder than most things with contact cement. You coat both sides, let drier and when the touch, they stick. You must apply to both sides but if it is dry enough to work on contact, lifting up is a problem if you need to. I did the dash a little wet so I could work with it and use heat on the outer edges as there is a lot of stretching there.

This guy is a professional and has good how to videos. I watched these multiple times before re doing mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPle8GB9keA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85iF2OjErnY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCT86sd37g4&t=200s

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #7 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 10:38:06 AM »
 :Welcome:

I assume you have already test fitted the dash top, before preparing to cover it.  I understand they can need some fettling, due to manufacturing variations (probably a much by Lotus as Banks)

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 10:42:32 AM »
Sorry I can't help you with your crash pad - I farmed out everything that would show! - but I wanted to say

:Welcome:  Jesper!!!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #9 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 01:20:25 PM »
Sorry I can't help you with your crash pad - I farmed out everything that would show! - but I wanted to say

:Welcome:  Jesper!!!

X2 That Jesper  :Welcome:
    I can't help either with a stock crashpad but wish I started with one.
 Dakazman

Offline Clifton

« Reply #10 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 02:18:19 PM »
I bought a crash pad for my Twin Cam Special from Banks. Now I need to install the black vinyl cover on the crash pad.
What glue would you recommend and does anyone have any advice?

I just realized you bought a Banks cover, you aren't DIY ing the vinyl. My original comment was without a Banks cover.

Online Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #11 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 06:32:47 PM »
:Welcome:

I assume you have already test fitted the dash top, before preparing to cover it.  I understand they can need some fettling, due to manufacturing variations (probably a much by Lotus as Banks)

You're right.  Most of them need trimming (a dremel with a cutoff wheel is your friend.) a bit to match the outline of the lower windshield opening curvature.  Couple hints/suggestions from experience:

1. Test fit and trim the bare fiberglass eyebrow BEFORE covering it. 
2. Check to make sure the flange where the instrument panel sits is a 90 degree angle to the bottom or the eyebrow will tilt down when you tighten up the instrument panel mounting screws.  Gentle application of heat gun on low on the back where it is folded will soften up the resin a bit and let you work the lip to where it should be.
3. When you finally get to attaching the vinyl...leave the edges long on the windshield edge.  Trim it back to leave it about 1/2" (12mm) long, and use a length of door edge trim (black) to capture the edge and fold it over to the inside on the edge.  It helps finish off the edge, and stabilize the vinyl so it's less likely to pull back.  Doesn't hurt to put some contact on the inside of the eyebrow along that line and the vinyl to help it stay where it needs to be.  Take a look at the photo below (it's my old S2, #693R)
4.  Take your time trimming the fiberglass.  Better to test fit a few times and work towards the final adjustment than to attempt to do it in one fell swoop.
5. It's easier to do with the windshield out.  But...if you've not the experience of removing the windshield...there is a 50-50 chance that it will crack while attempting to remove it.  Not the end of the world if it does (since replacements are available), but, like many things in the car, one job often requires attention to surrounding items to get to where you want to be.
« Last Edit: Friday,April 05, 2024, 06:40:27 PM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,April 09, 2024, 02:46:55 PM »
I was searching for some contact cement to be used when re-upholstering my seats.  I came to understand that there are formulas from some manufacturers that are made specifically to withstand the high temperatures experienced in automotive interiors.

I would assume that brands available in Europe may not be the same as those available in USA, so I won't recommend a specific brand.

This is what I bought though, based upon reasonable price, description, and a high number of good ratings by users:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8RRKEY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I have yet to use it, so can't report about how well it works.

But heat resistance is something to consider...!   You don't want your careful work falling apart; especially in areas that you can't readily repair (like in the deep recesses of the crashpad, near the windscreen).  I've seen it happen with contact adhesives.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,April 09, 2024, 04:28:09 PM »
Thanks fotog,
  My order is in. I need it to hold the ceiling panel material to the fiberglass around the front windscreen.
  Dakazman

Offline RafM

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,April 13, 2024, 09:33:58 AM »
1972 TC

I used this spray contact adhesive for the whole interior of my car, seats, carpets & crash pad.

The Banks crashpad needed a lot of adjustment and trimming of the fibreglass to get a good fit.
Also, make sure it is as smooth as possible before fixing the vinyl trim.

Try to get the seam in a nice straight line first and carefully smooth into position, use a hair dryer to soften the vinyl as you go.
Don't worry too much about the glue, one dry it cleans off the vinyl easily.