Author Topic: cooling fan  (Read 258 times)

Offline JNS

cooling fan
« on: Sunday,September 19, 2021, 06:45:58 AM »
Hi,
 I was out for a run and noticed the engine temp was a bit high. My cooling fan was not kicking in. I've put 12v across the fan terminals and get nothing. I presume this means it's life is at an end. I need to remove it. Can anyone tell me if there are 3 bolts holding it to the rad or 4? Is there any access if I remove the headlight?
 It is a 71 twin cam.
Thank you,
Jeff

Offline BDA

Re: cooling fan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,September 19, 2021, 07:57:43 AM »
I assume you have a stock fan. They are probably still available from somewhere (I have one but you don’t want to pay shipping across the pond), but I think the better option is an aluminum radiator with a new fan from eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=loyus+europa+radiator&_sacat=0). You’ll have to get temperature switch but that should be pretty easy to find.

Offline S2Zetec54

Re: cooling fan
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,September 19, 2021, 08:37:31 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Yes I remember taking out my headlight to have better access. There is a way of doing it so you keep your headlight beam adjustment correct. Failing that make a mark on the wall at night so you can see if it is still correct….or how it was set before you took it out correctly anyway