Author Topic: 365 linkage and back cover questions  (Read 532 times)

Offline jpane

365 linkage and back cover questions
« on: Saturday,March 13, 2021, 11:57:07 AM »
My car has been apart for a very long time, and is finally almost finished (if a Lotus is ever "finished"). I have several questions about the linkage and back cover.
     1. My mechanic tells me that at some time before I bought the car (I think about 2000), the back cover had broken and been "repaired" with epoxy. This is where the shaft for the reverse/5th gears detent goes. He has re-epoxied it, but wondering if anyone has one or knows if any vendors might have one before I call them all on Monday.
     2. When the shift lever is over to the left, against the reverse detent, I cannot go straight forward into 1st, but have to jog slightly to the right before it will go. Any idea whether it can be adjusted? If so, how? I don't remember this being a problem before I had to pull the engine/transmission because of a leaking water pump.
     3. I remember that at some point, someone on the Yahoo list offered a cable shift "kit". I think that the parts came from the Nissan F-10, and are no longer available. Any info or advice on this or an alternative.

Thanks for any feedback,
John

Offline jbcollier

Re: 365 linkage and back cover questions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,March 13, 2021, 12:25:51 PM »
The Nissan F10 reference was to using its brake master cylinder.

The cable shifter conversions have used lever assemblies from Toyota Corollas or MR2s.  They are extensively modified to make them work in a Europa.  Everything else: cables, anchor points, pivots and levers has to be custom made to suit.  It’s not hard, just careful meticulous design and fabrication.

The problem with the 365 is that it’s very vulnerable to rear impacts.  Cable shifting won’t help in the regard.  Adapting a rear cover from a 395 and cable-shifting that would be better.  It’s not an easy conversion but it has been done.
« Last Edit: Saturday,March 13, 2021, 12:30:41 PM by jbcollier »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,March 13, 2021, 12:28:14 PM »
I think rear covers for the 365 are officially unobtainium now.  You might get lucky and find a used one.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,March 13, 2021, 12:47:59 PM »
The end cover is somewhat vulnerable. When I had a 365, I cracked the end cover of mine and I took mine to a motorcycle shop and had it welded. I would recommend that course of action - take it to a machine shop welds or race shop that does fabrication or similar.

I don't think I can diagnose your shifting issue. I would say that sometimes there is a perception that the shift pattern is not "straight." In my car, I have to be a little careful to apply some pressure to the left in my 1-2 shift otherwise it will grind. This may be due to some anomaly in the linkage that is not apparent or I need that leftward pressure to actually keep the movement straight back. All that is said with the assumption that you have taken any play out of your entire linkage. The top-hat bushings at the bottom of your shift lever is a prime candidate as well as the u-joints and the rod end near the bell housing.

As for the cable shift, I found this saved from the old Yahoo group (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1opDqtdE8XA8kATodFYdKnK8siawIAomE) and this is the results of a search I did (https://groups.io/g/LotusEuropa/filessearch?q=cable+shift). From the little looking around I did, it looked as though some fabrication is required and that it is something better done when the engine is out of the car. Also, most of the cable shift designs are for the NG3 so some adaptation would be required for using them for your 365.

Hope that helps...

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,March 13, 2021, 02:31:14 PM »
The reverse gear cover is available at RD Enterprises part number 74F0213R.

I think the stock gearshift is fine as is, except for the center joint.  Mine works great with a slightly modified center joint.

The reverse cam and spring ball can all be adjusted to stop the issue you are having.  From the sounds of it, your adjustment is close.  The spring ball against the cam just needs to keep the gearshift slightly to the right.  I think the ball housing can move as well as the cam.  The cam is held in place to the reverse pivot with a nylock nut and a roll pin on mine.

Offline jpane

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,March 13, 2021, 03:03:33 PM »
jb: Thanks for the correction on the F-10. Remembered the wrong substitution
     You have convinced me, cable shift is no longer a consideration

BDA:   I will see if the leakage justifies removing the rear cover. It worked for years with original repair.
          I think I upgraded everything at the shift lever, but thanks for reminding me to check.

Pfreen:   I am talking about the back cover of the gearbox (metal), not the cover for the reverse/5th gear detent (black plastic) that you   
             referenced, sorry for confusion.
             I believe the detent cam is pined to the shaft, so no adjustment there. I know the housing for the ball and spring has 2 bolts, so I doubt 
             that can be adjusted, but I will check.       

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,March 13, 2021, 04:42:24 PM »
Sorry I misunderstood.

I broke my rear over going over a too steep driveway entrance.  I had it repaired by welding and remachining.

Also, I have repined the reverse lockout cam.

I have seen the rear cover on ebay over the years.  The only other suggestion I have is to try Sports car World in Texas.  They have a lot of used parts.  972-620-7285

« Last Edit: Saturday,March 13, 2021, 04:47:55 PM by Pfreen »

Offline jpane

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,March 14, 2021, 06:42:51 AM »
When you say that you "repinned the reverse lockout cam", did you fill in and then drill a new hole for the pin in order to adjust the shifter position?
If so, how did you figure out the position of the hole?
Thanks,
John

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,March 14, 2021, 10:08:18 AM »
As I remember, just a redrill.

Offline jpane

« Reply #9 on: Monday,March 15, 2021, 05:43:55 AM »
Sorry to be a pest, when you say redrill, did you drill in the same place?