Author Topic: 365 Gearbox Rear Cover  (Read 561 times)

Offline Dilkris

365 Gearbox Rear Cover
« on: Sunday,January 10, 2021, 08:46:38 AM »
OK - what's the secret with this? I need to know how to orientate the control shaft/rocking lever (spare parts diagram part names not mine) so as the rocking lever sits within the reverse, 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th and 5th gear selector shafts. (See photo's)

Put simply, I am trying to refit the rear cover, (which I see at times is called the 5th gear casing.)

You are probably thinking "dummy" - "just do it the reverse way of how you took it apart.  :FUNNY:
When I took it apart I did not put the box in 3rd or 4th gear so the interlocking ball which interfaces between the 3rd and 4th speed selector shaft and the 5th speed selector shaft allowed the 5th gear selector fork and hub to come out with the casing. :headbanger:
By manipulation, I can get the rocking lever very close to correct position, but just not quite.

Do I have to remove the roll pin from the genuine Lotus 5th gear external indent plate to allow for that extra movement? (See 3rd photo)

Note: Whilst replacing the oil seal to the rear of this casing I noticed that there was considerable play between the control shaft and casing; I have thus replaced the very worn bush,(15mm ID, 19mm OD and 15mm in length), as my thinking was leaving it as it was would render changing the oil seal pretty pointless.
Any suggestions? Or help much appreciated.       

Offline jbcollier

Re: 365 Gearbox Rear Cover
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,January 10, 2021, 09:28:12 AM »
The Renault manuals are much more detailed, better illustrated and more clearly written than the Lotus manuals.  Not sure why you went in but here is the section on refitting the 365 rear cover:

You have to be careful when removing the rear cover as it is very easy to have one of the dent balls drop into the main casing.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,January 10, 2021, 09:41:03 AM »
Quote: "Not sure why you went in but here is the section on refitting the 365 rear cover")
Because I opted to replace the diff bearings John (See "365 Gearbox Diff Bearings" thread for which you were hugely helpful), and as you know, to do this you have to not only split the main casing but remove the 5th gear rear casing and adapter plate .
Again thanks for the advice on where to look and "yes" the detent ball did drop into the casing during disassembly AND the dowel which locates the outer race of the end bearing of the 2nd motion shaft... which isn't that obvious.  :FUNNY: Chris   

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,January 10, 2021, 10:02:37 AM »
If you can, pick up an R17/15 manual.  They have an incredibly detailed and copiously illustrated transaxle section.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,January 10, 2021, 10:57:55 AM »
Surprisingly there are a lot available on ebay  :))

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,January 10, 2021, 12:49:57 PM »
Some are just addendums, not the complete manual.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #6 on: Monday,January 11, 2021, 06:11:51 AM »
On the play selector shaft, I presume you are fitting new oil seal. When I replaced the bush on mine I ended up cheating with the oil seal and fitting one with a 14mm ID (instead of a15mm seal)  and that stopped it leaking completely.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Lotuswins

« Reply #7 on: Monday,January 11, 2021, 02:34:44 PM »
Hi Chris,

IIRC it is a bit fiddly to get back on.  You have to select 4th as it moves the rod and hence the square end of the rocker back a bit.  Pull the shift shaft on the case back towards you as much as you can, and put something in the pin hole for the u-joint yoke so you can rotate the shaft as you try and get the end of the rocker into that small slot in the 4th/3rd shaft.  It is a bit of a blind feel to get it in, but once in, the shift shaft will move fwd and all will feel 'right'.   With the trans in 4th it locks the 5th gear shaft in place too so it won't fall out on you.

Good luck!!  and make sure the two nuts on the shafts are loctited AND mechanically secure.  Wouldn't want either of those to come loose!!

Jerry Rude
4005R

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #8 on: Monday,January 11, 2021, 03:26:49 PM »
Thankyou everyone - this closes the thread. I succeeded in refitting the rear casing but must admit I did find it quite a performance. I simply could not manage by selecting 4th to bring the square of the selector shaft back; whilst in doing this I could easily get the rocking lever in place, I could not then manipulate the whole assembly so as the rear section of the 5th speed selector shaft entered the rear casing.  :confused:
I ended up putting the gearbox in 5th, (this obviously has the effect of moving the 5th speed selector shaft forward giving me the room I was looking for), offered up the casing with the rocking lever in place, and prior to pushing the casing home, with approximately 15mm left to go, carefully reached in with a large screwdriver and levered the 5th speed selector shaft back into the neutral position. I then pushed the casing fully home.
On reflection I found changing the diff bearings to be quite a journey, but on a positive note, I am pleased that it is journey I have travelled as I now understand and can clearly visualize what is going on inside the box regarding the rocking lever and selector shafts which should help me when I come to the gear lever alignment/adjustment challenge. (I hope) :)) 

Offline buzzer

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,January 12, 2021, 03:21:48 AM »
And if you haven't already when rebuilding the gearbox sealing the output shafts from the 3 places they leak.
The main output seals
The thread needs sealing on the collars
The o-rings need to be in good condition

Took me absolutely ages to get mine to stop leaking.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK