Author Topic: Log39  (Read 624 times)

Offline Pfreen

Log39
« on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 09:04:18 AM »
I made the trek from Fort Lauderdale to Log39 in Sturbridge MA.  I took the autotrain from Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA, just south of Washington DC.  I met up with the group Certified Lotus has been writing about and took two days from Bethlehem PA to get to Log 39.  The first day was challenging for me, and the group because my electric fuel pump went intermittent, and I had to stop three times before I changed the pump with a new Holley Mighty Mite fuel pump I brought as a spare.  After that, it was smooth sailing.  I originally thought it was the oil pressure switch which controls the relay that turns the pump on and off.

Anyway, Log was fun.  I met a lot of the members of this forum and saw their cars.  I have never seen so many Loti in one place.  I did get third place in the Europa TC/Special category.  Glen was amazing to bring his brand new car, but it all worked out.  A very knowledgeable and friendly group of people.

Anyway, issues came up at home and a hurricane on the way forced me to depart early.  I left on Sunday around noon.  I skipped the autotrain because it wasn't worth the worry.  So, 1500 miles later, I am home.  The final day, I did 700 miles.  Amazingly, it is a pretty good car for long distances.  I was not worn out and did not require traction after my drive.  BTW, I am 6'-2" and 205 pounds.  So Europas aren't just for short people.  All in all, I did 2072 miles round trip in eight days.  I have never driven my car that much.  It is a lot of fun.

What did I learn?

1.  The autotrain people wear giant work boots and cannot drive a Lotus Europa.  They have never seen such a car.  They pushed mine off the train and luckily did not push on the trunk lid and crack it.
2.  My car with its ac is actually ok to cruise expressways and travel long distances.  I tested the brakes when someone finally decided they wanted to exit the expressway and could not merge, so the just decided to stop on the expressway like you would at a stop sign.  I found out my front brakes lock up slightly before the rears.  Also, luckily the truck behind me was far enough back that I didn't become an accordion.
3.  I also survived a good ol Florida palmetto pounder, which is a white out thunder storm that lasted 30 to 45 minutes.  That was interesting as well.  The ac kept the windows from fogging, the rebuilt windshield wiper system was sort of fast enough to keep up, and the sealing of door leaks before leaving on this trip by having my wife spray down the car many times and then fix the leaks, seems to have been successful.  Not to bad.
4.  I used 2 quarts of oil, and the consumption seemed to be getting better, the more I drove.
5.  A Europa is sure popular at gas stations!
6.  I got between 29 and 32 mpg. 
7.  I still have to figure out the tire balance.  On some roads, the car was rock steady.  On other roads at the same speed, the car would shake.  sometimes the steering wheel, sometimes from the rear.  Speeds were between 65 and 80 mph.  I am going to double check alignment, and then double check the tire balance, as best I can.  I had the front tires balanced a few month ago at a place that spins the tires on the car.  I didn't think I could do any better. I am considering trying tire balance beads.  Has anyone tried them?  Anyway, more things to do.
8.  The fuel pump that failed was a Walbro FRB series pump.  It was not cheap, around $180.  Anyway, I can't recommend that pump to anyone!  The cheap Holley, $50, made it 1500 miles with no problem.

Offline dakazman

Re: Log39
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 09:26:21 AM »
  Congrats Paul,
3rd Place WOW, Your car is amazing! 

I was reading every bit of info posted. When certified said you were driving back I was going to tell you to stop by off 95 cocoa beach exit nearby. At least to stretch your legs, but I knew you weren’t reading your PM’s.
Dave

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 09:32:26 AM »
Paul, glad to hear you made it back safe and sound. We enjoyed finally meeting you and glad you were part of the road trip to LOG39.

Yes, more Loti than you will ever see in one place at LOG. It’s a Lotus Owners dream. Congrats on your third place winning for Europa TC! Two yellow lotus Europa TC in the top three, who would have guessed.

You would have enjoyed the return trip with us, but we understand that life gets in the way.

Appreciate your comments on the return trip. I was wondering how everything went. Not sure I could drive 700 miles in one day, you have probably set a record here.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 09:44:05 AM »
Congratulations on your third place!  :beerchug:

Thankfully, you didn't have any of the problems you had on the way up. I'm sure your A/C was key in your comfortable ride home! I'm really envious of your and JB's A/C! That would be heaven!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 10:17:23 AM »
A post to the yahoo list mentioned the fastest way to clear out any shop of its mechanics was drive a Lotus in and ask for a wheel balance.  The lack of soft compliance that so delights us also makes wheel balancing tricky indeed.  There’s no “fudge factor” to hide any small irregularities or miscalculations.

First spin the wheels by hand.  Does it spin true and round?  If not fix this first.  You can’t balance around a bent rim or off tire.

Next, especially if you are having issues, have the rear brake drums balanced.  This was running change during production.  99% of any new drums on the market will not be balanced.  Some are not bad, one of mine only took a 1/4 oz but some will way out, my other took 2 1/2 oz!

After that very careful balancing will get you most of the way there. 

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 05:02:11 PM »
Dazakman,  We are in the process off moving to Orlando, so we’ll be a lot closer.  We used to live in Titusville. 

The house should be ready in 6 months or so.  It will be good to be close to another Europa owner.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 05:17:51 PM »
 Great, now we need to get Wesley up here too. Maybe after this Hurricane.🤪
Dakazman

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 05:52:38 PM »
That’s one reason I came home early.  Good luck.  We all need it.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 06:12:25 PM »
Good luck and stay safe with the hurricane Paul.

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 06:25:10 PM »
+100! Please stay safe during the hurricane!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 07:37:48 PM »
  Back to LOG 39 info ,:
 Who won the  S1 & S2 class ? Any pictures available anywhere?

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 07:45:56 PM »
The results of the "People's Choice Awards" are published in the Lotus Ltd. club magazine, Lotus ReMarque but unfortunately they don't publish pictures.  :(

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 07:56:08 PM »
Dakazman:  Hurricanes are pretty unpredictable, but it looks like it's going more your way than South Florida.  So stay safe!!! Being a native South Floridian, been through quite a few of these.  And Paul driving 2,500 miles in his TCS has certainly been inspirational. LOG always seems to correspond with the beginning of the Fall Semester. Would love to attend one.  Hey but at least everyone has been posting some great photos.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 07:59:35 PM by literarymadness »