Author Topic: Vapor/overflow and charcoal canisters  (Read 562 times)

Offline rjbaren

Vapor/overflow and charcoal canisters
« on: Wednesday,August 07, 2019, 07:53:16 PM »
Are you guys using the vapor/overflow and charcoal canisters in the emission system?  I think I see my vapor/overflow near the fuel tank on the driver's side below where the battery would be.  The previous owner removed nearly everything but I see the canister on the driver's side is still there and the ignition coil on the passenger's side is still there.  I am not planning on using the crossover pipes from the manifolds and the big tank below the rear windshield either.  Therefore, do I need the cannister down by the gas tank?  I have a 73 twin cam.

Offline BDA

Re: Vapor/overflow and charcoal canisters
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,August 07, 2019, 08:29:17 PM »
I bought a charcoal canister for my car when I was building it because I thought they would look for one when it was inspected but I never installed it and was never asked about it. I don't have any emissions equipment on my car. I think it's a personal preference. If you feel the need for emissions equipment I think you should go for it. In that case I think you're on your own with sourcing it and where and how you mount it. I haven't connected anything to vents on my gas tank filler necks and I've had no problems.

Offline Arizona

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,August 07, 2019, 09:19:21 PM »
I replaced the charcoal canister with one from a Harley motorcycle and mounted it in a more accessible spot just behind the cooling system header tank.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,August 07, 2019, 09:26:23 PM by Arizona »
George F. Johnson

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,August 08, 2019, 05:07:40 AM »
Thank you for the photo.  I had two other questions and the photo has helped answer them.  I thought about moving the ignition coil and with you air filter arrangement it looks to be a very nice solution.  I also notice your brake boosters are gone.  I bought a 3/4 inch Tilton master cylinder with a proportioning valve I plan on using and removing the boosters and all the unnecessary brake pipes.  I am thinking one pipe to the front 3 way union and one pipe to the rear 4 way union through the proportioning valve.  Have you plumbed yours similarly?

Offline Arizona

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,August 08, 2019, 06:18:48 AM »
I'm using the original master cylinder. I removed the boosters many years ago and modified the brake pedal by drilling a new hole for the clevis attachment slightly below the original to increase the mechanical advantage as suggested by Richard @ Bank's at the time. The effort is noticeably higher than with the boosters but not excessive.
George F. Johnson

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,August 08, 2019, 06:47:10 AM »
No need for the proportioning valve if your brakes are otherwise stock.

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,August 08, 2019, 02:46:08 PM »
My brakes are otherwise stock.  This is nice, I can return the valve and save that extra pound of weight.