Author Topic: S1 Interior Paint  (Read 253 times)

Offline My S1

S1 Interior Paint
« on: Saturday,December 09, 2023, 09:44:12 AM »
Could someone advise me on the best primer and single stage top coat for my main fiberglass interior panels?  The factory used a black surface/gel coat followed by a heavy white polyester (?) primer then a thin semi gloss black top coat.  I have sanded through most of the white primer and am using an SEM rattle can high build primer as I go along.  Would the final primer and top coat need to have plasticizers added?

Offline Clifton

Re: S1 Interior Paint
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,December 09, 2023, 10:00:03 AM »
I used a satin black single stage urethane on my inner door frames. More durable than rattle can and turned out perfect.
https://www.tptools.com/Kirker-Hot-Rod-Black-Satin-Finish-Urethane-Topcoat-1-Qt-Kit,9020.html?b=d*12787

Offline My S1

« Reply #2 on: Monday,December 11, 2023, 10:59:40 AM »
Clifton,  thank you for the tip.  What type of primer did you use?  What type of gun do you have?

Offline Clifton

« Reply #3 on: Monday,December 11, 2023, 03:36:49 PM »
Clifton,  thank you for the tip.  What type of primer did you use?  What type of gun do you have?

On the body, I used a Finishline gun, it was on sale and came with a few tips, one that was larger for primer. I may have used my cheap, mini HF detail gun on this as it was so small but I can't remember.

On the entire car, I used a sandable high build primer then an epoxy primer to seal everything. In the past, I have used a rattle can high build and then singe stage urethane paint. It was a track only car but it had no issues.

I like rattle can paint for a lot of things but it scuffs and scratches too easy for high visible areas that matter. The small can I have was way more than I needed but worth it over rattle can satin.
« Last Edit: Monday,December 11, 2023, 03:38:56 PM by Clifton »

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #4 on: Monday,December 11, 2023, 05:39:52 PM »
I used black/black Zolatone ZT-20-06 20 Series. . It covers a multitude of sins. Kinda hard to spray, need a big tip spray gun, but is really robust and easy to touch up and blend.

Offline My S1

« Reply #5 on: Monday,December 11, 2023, 05:51:54 PM »
That also sounds like a good product.  I'll be using my trusty DeVilbiss JGA-502 with multiple tips so thick paint is not a problem. I feel that I need a flexible paint for both the primer and top coat because, as you all know, the factory made the S1 interior panels literally paper thin.  The unstressed belly pans are even thinner.  I understand the concept of saving weight but for crying out loud...!!!

Offline Kendo

« Reply #6 on: Monday,December 11, 2023, 06:45:57 PM »
My S1, I’ve been wondering for a while, what interior panels are you referring to? The doors? My TCS has the road-hugging weight of carpeting. So I don’t know what gets painted in an S1.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Monday,December 11, 2023, 06:51:59 PM »
Everything is paint except for the footwells, a-pillar, roof, and a bit of vinyl inside the doors.