Author Topic: Dave Bean  (Read 320 times)

Offline Footer

Dave Bean
« on: Friday,November 03, 2023, 01:36:28 PM »
I tried calling Dave Bean three or four times this morning and every time got "that number is no longer in service".  Tried again just now, 4:00 PM, EST and got the same result.  I also sent an e-mail to Ken Gray, using  Ken@davebean.com about  three hours ago and have not received a response as yet.

I haven't heard anything about closing or a natural disaster in that area, but maybe I missed something.

If someone in the group has some information I would appreciate hearing from you.  Losing Dave Bean is something I wouldn't want to happen and I'm sure there others who feel the same way.

Thanks.

Offline BDA

Re: Dave Bean
« Reply #1 on: Friday,November 03, 2023, 02:19:29 PM »
I ordered something from DBE earlier this week. Ken did not mention anything to me about any changes in the status of the company.

I don’t know why you would get a “number no longer in service” message. I just called and got a message about new office hours.

DBE now operates Monday through Thursday, taking Friday off. I suspect Ken does not monitor his work email when he’s on an off day.

Give Ken a call Monday. I’m sure you’ll have better luck!

Offline Footer

« Reply #2 on: Friday,November 03, 2023, 03:02:37 PM »
Thanks BDA, I didn’t know about the new hours.  The number I used was 209 754-5802 which is still on the website.
I’ll give them a try on Monday

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Friday,November 03, 2023, 04:40:37 PM »
That's the right number. Could you have fat-fingered it?

In any case, Ken will surely be there to help you Monday.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,November 04, 2023, 09:47:57 AM »
I was told yesterday that the company is up for sale.
No idea of asking price or what may remain in stock.
Maybe new owners would update the website?

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,November 04, 2023, 11:54:37 AM »
After Dave's wife, Roberta, died, the company has been held in trust. Ken is looking to retire and I don't know that he's in a position to buy it anyway so it will be sold. Ken told me a couple of months or so ago that there is an interested buyer and I think he said there are delays caused by the the settling of Roberta's estate. He didn't have an expected time when the sale would be finalized. He gave me the feeling that we would end up being comfortable with the result - in other words, the people who are interested are knowledgeable and enthusiastic and not just a corporate drone. That's about all I remember Ken telling me about it and I don't think there was much more Ken could tell me.

I can't say that I'm looking forward to the new buyers taking over. I suspect Ken will probably leave shortly after. I've really valued his advice and technical help over the years. I also expect that it will be ok though.

Incidentally, the same thing is happening at r.d. enterprises. Ray is on his way out and at some time George will take over.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,November 04, 2023, 03:08:35 PM »
Passing on to George is a great thing compared to Ken at Dave Bean. Dave and Ray have been valuable assets to me in my Lotus adventure.  Frank at Sports Car World and whoever answered the phone at Sports Car World were also a wealth of information.

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,November 04, 2023, 08:10:04 PM »
 :I-agree:

It would be better if Ken "trained" his replacement. As it is, we know nothing about who will answer the phone after Ken retires. I think it would be asking a lot to have someone as good as Ken but we might be surprised or he might grow into the role quickly if he has a good background. We'll just have to see...