Author Topic: lug nuts  (Read 127 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
lug nuts
« on: Monday,July 31, 2023, 11:24:37 AM »
A bit of experimentation...considering the manufacturer/origins/other cars the steelies were used on, figured I'd try other sources, since the usual suspects here on this side don't seem to stock the originals...just the big acorn nuts for panasport pattern wheels...picked up a set of lug nuts from Moss (part 674-625), measured them against the few originals I had left...and they were the same thread and socket size, as well as taper (60 degree).  Torqued them to spec (40 Ft/lbs), and have run them on interstate highway, local potholed streets, and some twisties over on the other side of the Taunton River from Fall River (some GREAT roads back in Seekonk and Rehoboth...who'd have thought...we're talking English country lanes...but figures since that's who founded the towns 400 years ago...) for 250 miles+ since I installed them.

Checked the torque this afternoon.  Still at 40.  Doesn't look like they've started to pull through or otherwise loosen.  I think they're good to go.  No financial interest, etc.  But, an alternate source if yours are missing or knackered and the suspects say the only option is the chrome acorns. 

« Last Edit: Tuesday,August 01, 2023, 06:11:17 AM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.