Author Topic: Sure bet source for rebuild kits? Twin Cam Stromberg 175 CD-2  (Read 183 times)

Offline FourLoti

Sure bet source for rebuild kits? Twin Cam Stromberg 175 CD-2
« on: Monday,May 15, 2023, 08:01:23 AM »
Getting deeper into this project, so let the newbie help questions begin in earnest! (will try to control myself  :)

There are tons of kits for sale and videos that point out that not all kits are the same and some are not complete.

I'm familiar with JAE, RDent, Moss, etc., but do any of you have experience/recommendation for the right (complete) kit at the right price from the right vendor?  I did a search here and am still not clear.

Thanks,

Ron
Oh, Bonus long shot question - are there any known sources for Europa touch up paint (L12)? Or is a custom match at the local paint store my best option?
« Last Edit: Monday,May 15, 2023, 08:14:30 AM by FourLoti »
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special 5-Speed
1996 Porsche 993 Carrera Coupe
2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)

Offline jbcollier

Re: Sure bet source for rebuild kits? Twin Cam Stromberg 175 CD-2
« Reply #1 on: Monday,May 15, 2023, 09:44:12 AM »
Touch up paint?  For when it was new?  Or after 50 years of exposure?  ;-)  Yes, you need to get it custom matched.

Regarding "kits".  Are we talking about carburetor overhaul kits for the Stromberg carbs?  If yes, do you have much experience in overhauling carbs?  If not much, then this place is highly recommended:

https://www.britishsuperior.com

The three main wear points are the needle itself (easy), the jet (tricky) and the throttle shafts and butterflies (tricky).  Sometimes you can just change the shaft and it's back to spec.  Other times you have to change the bushings as well.  The jet has to be carefully pressed out (no hammer and punch, please) and replaced with careful attention to alignment and depth (3.00mm ± 0.05mm -- IIRC).

The shite, no-name kits are just that.  Don't use them.  Burlen makes new SU and Strombergs, kits and parts.  Get the major overhaul kit (does 2 carbs) that includes shafts, bushings, butterflies, jets, as well as gaskets, diaphragms and seals.

Detail thread and links on overhauling Strombergs:

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=3619.msg37946#msg37946

Offline Lotuswins

Re: Sure bet source for rebuild kits? Twin Cam Stromberg 175 CD-2
« Reply #2 on: Monday,May 15, 2023, 04:02:44 PM »
I bought my last kits from Dave Bean, and they were from Joe Curto (British Superior).  They were good quality and included everything except the shafts and needles/jets, which you will have to purchase separate since the shaft lengths can vary.

Key points are the thickness of the diaphrams, the thickness of the gaskets, and material on the needle seat tips.  The good news on ZS carbs is that the bushings are steel so don't wear much so just replacing the shafts will tighten up the clearances usually, and the seals on the shafts are lip seals and included in the kits.

Jerry Rude
4005R