Author Topic: Tach woes  (Read 232 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
Tach woes
« on: Monday,May 30, 2022, 08:52:45 AM »
Luckily I picked up a spare tach (same prefix, different suffix on the notation at the bottom of the dial; probably has more to do with the yellow/red markings than a mechanical or electronic change to the unit) from a fellow participant a couple months ago...while out and about leaking oil over the streets of Fall River...the original tach at normal cruise speed suddenly bounced a couple times and went right to red line (and I was only doing 60 in 5th gear and the tempo of the mill did not change.  Damn.

So...went home, assumed a partial Lotus position (if you take out the steering wheel, it's a lot easier on the driver side), disconnected the old tach and removed.  Will send out for repair/calibration later...installed new old shelf spare (it's good to have spares, right?) tach (which is from an S2, albeit with a lower yellow at 6K vs 6500 on the TC) after burnishing up the connectors, a little penetrox anti-corrosion goop on the cleaned fittings, and reinstalled.  Fired up the engine (with my garage handheld tach/dwell meter hooked up to the coil), and calibrated the new old tach to the reading on the dwell meter.  Must be lucky, had set the idle by ear when I was syncing the carbs...and the idle was at 1K on the dwell meter...it now reads 1K on the Smiths tach after tweaking the adjustment pot on the back of the tach.

OK, so it's an S2 tach in a TC.  lower yellow/red.  That's ok.  Says I'm idling at 1K agreeing with the dwell meter.  I can live with that.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Online BDA

Re: Tach woes
« Reply #1 on: Monday,May 30, 2022, 10:18:23 AM »
Did you have your tachs converted for use with your Pertronix ignition? If not, that's probably the problem. On my tach with my Pertronix Ignitor II, it would read correctly till about 4000 and then go crazy.

Spiyda (https://spiyda.com/tachometer-electronics.html) in England has a kit to convert your tack. It's easy to install. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't get either of two kits I tried to work. I also know that they do work (our own Serge did a video on converting his tach and his worked). Anyway, in the end, I got West Valley Instruments in California (https://www.westvalleyinstruments.com/) to do the conversion which was very successful - and a lot more expensive than a Spiyda kit. I would have had Nisonger do it but they are only doing sales now since they were flooded a while back.

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #2 on: Monday,May 30, 2022, 05:20:19 PM »
Did you have your tachs converted for use with your Pertronix ignition? If not, that's probably the problem. On my tach with my Pertronix Ignitor II, it would read correctly till about 4000 and then go crazy.

Spiyda (https://spiyda.com/tachometer-electronics.html) in England has a kit to convert your tack. It's easy to install. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't get either of two kits I tried to work. I also know that they do work (our own Serge did a video on converting his tach and his worked). Anyway, in the end, I got West Valley Instruments in California (https://www.westvalleyinstruments.com/) to do the conversion which was very successful - and a lot more expensive than a Spiyda kit. I would have had Nisonger do it but they are only doing sales now since they were flooded a while back.

Back when I was starting down the road in February...the original tach would go crazy with the normal point system, too.  I think it's just time to send it out to West Valley and have it gone through and converted.  I won't be driving the car much except for around town.  A contact in the UK advised me that based on the photos I sent him of where it's leaking...it's probably the pan gasket, so, I'm going to try replacing that (and the front seal) first in the next few weeks.  Give me a chance to strip and paint the oil pan, too, before going deeper into deconstructing the engine room.  Will send out the tach this week and just 'do it'. 

But going to drive it around a little more.  Love the sound of pressing down on the loud pedal...and the resonance of the exhaust system through the existing muffler... :D
« Last Edit: Monday,May 30, 2022, 05:22:33 PM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Online BDA

« Reply #3 on: Monday,May 30, 2022, 05:44:23 PM »
That is a nice sound, isn't it!  ;D

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,May 31, 2022, 05:06:40 AM »
That is a nice sound, isn't it!  ;D

Yeah...quite.  Too bad the streets here in Fall River are mostly reminiscent of photos of Berlin after Army Air Forces did their urban renewal flights in '44-'45.  Only when you get on the interstate or MA 24 towards Boston (Bahstin?) does it smooth out and you can enjoy the music.  Thinking a nice set of headers and free flow muffler would sound even nicer, but have other fish to fry on this resurrection before thinking of tweaking exhaust systems.

Biggest hurdle of getting it on the road, running decently (I pulled the plugs and the carbon deposits have mostly been burned off and the insulators on all four are tanish color.  So...) in a straight line for short distances is done.  Now comes the "OK, I know it works, now let's clean it up" phase.  That includes pulling the lump, dropping the gas tanks, putting in newly restored ones, cleaning up the rear of the chassis and body, as many of the seals and gaskets as I can get to, new clutch, and putting it all back together.  I have a punch list I'm working from...but the order (and length) changes day to day.  Not in any serious hurry, but not wasting time obsessing over order or methodology to get it fixed.  Guiding principle: do it right the first time, and use locktite where needed...lol
« Last Edit: Tuesday,May 31, 2022, 07:13:34 AM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline Footer

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,May 31, 2022, 07:08:47 AM »
Like BDA, after installing the Petronix ignition, I sent my original tach to West Valley in California and had quick turnaround and good results. 
Good luck with your Europa.

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,May 31, 2022, 09:23:30 AM »
Like BDA, after installing the Petronix ignition, I sent my original tach to West Valley in California and had quick turnaround and good results. 
Good luck with your Europa.

in the box and on its way. 
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA