Author Topic: Is there a Lotus person near River Falls Wisconsin?  (Read 153 times)

Offline marks

Is there a Lotus person near River Falls Wisconsin?
« on: Monday,April 25, 2022, 12:25:44 PM »
Per my last thread on brakes for my 1972 Europa.  I believe that I am close to getting the Europa on the ground after many many years putting it all together as a basket case.  I received it in many parts.  Is there a person located near River Falls, Wisconsin USA that can check the car out?  I also recently purchased a 1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo; and I have been advised to have the timing belt changed. It has 7277 original miles on it.  Thanks for all the help! Mark

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
Re: Is there a Lotus person near River Falls Wisconsin?
« Reply #1 on: Monday,April 25, 2022, 12:34:24 PM »
Per my last thread on brakes for my 1972 Europa.  I believe that I am close to getting the Europa on the ground after many many years putting it all together as a basket case.  I received it in many parts.  Is there a person located near River Falls, Wisconsin USA that can check the car out?  I also recently purchased a 1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo; and I have been advised to have the timing belt changed. It has 7277 original miles on it.  Thanks for all the help! Mark

The cam belt (it's an interference engine..if the belt snaps, it will bend valves!) and tensioner bearing should be changed every 3-4 years.  With the age of the car, and the lack of mileage, it would not be a bad thing to go thru and flush coolant, brake fluid, replace coolant and brake flexible hoses, and give it a good tune up, then in 1-1.5k miles, drain the oil and refresh.  It's been sitting, obviously...so get the crud out of it and keep the fluids fresh.  But, consider the belt a life-limited item, and the others, due to lack of use, as being past their sell-by date.  Just my $.02...that engine gets Real Expensive quickly if you're forced to open it up. 
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,April 25, 2022, 12:45:10 PM »
I think changing the timing belt of your Esprit is a very good idea. Time is an enemy of timing belts just as miles are. Of course the atmosphere where the car is stored makes a big difference (open air -> car port -> garage -> air conditioned garage). When you replace it, in the future, you will know how old it is and how many miles it's run. Bryan gives some other good things to look at.

Europas are pretty simple. I would think if you're capable of putting one together, you'd be capable of determining if it is road worthy. Start slow. Check everything you can think of (brake bleeding, alignment & ride height, leaks, clutch adjustment, coolant, fan operational, timing, carb tune, tire pressure, engine oil and tranny oil, etc...) and then take it on a short drive to see how it feels. Bring it home and see what's happening. Is something smoking? too hot? not running? clutch out of adjustment? drum brakes out of adjustment? any rattles or noises that shouldn't be there? etc. Fix that and take another short drive and check it again after. You may want the destination of one of those early trips to be a good alignment shop to get a good baseline (especially check the thrust angle of the rear). If you're not confident about your engine tune, maybe a destination might be a classic Brit car shop to have your carbs tuned. If there is no Lotus club in your area (a good bet!), is there an MG, Triumph, or Jag club in your area? They will very likely be very accepting of you and your Europa and someone there might have more experience in some finer points who would be willing to lend his advice.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Offline marks

« Reply #3 on: Monday,April 25, 2022, 03:04:27 PM »
I appreciate all the feedback!  I am fairly confident with the engine and brakes on the Europa.  I had to start from scratch on the wiring and i believe that I have to have it on the ground to attach the front stabilizer bar.  This is my first venture into a Lotus, so I thought it might be nice to have someone skilled to check my work.  the Esprit seems a bit more complex, so I did not want to screw something up.  I live close to Minneapolis and St. Paul so there must be someone there.  Mark