Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 154388 times)

dakazman and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online dakazman

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #1815 on: Sunday,November 06, 2022, 02:57:20 PM »
  Thanks Brian, I’m not getting any younger and crawling under the dash seems impossible these days , I will however look into that location.
  Wiring up the new ignition switch or even  the original I have a question on what is missing and how the ground wire attaches to g to he ignition assembly.  See pics!
  The schematic shows a solid black lead but I have a black/green. Minor change in the schematic to correct that.
 How does it get secured to the switch assembly ? Seems like a spring under contact maybe? Or does it attach to the other side with this plate ?
Dakazman

Online dakazman

« Reply #1816 on: Wednesday,November 09, 2022, 05:34:41 AM »
  Making some progress with assembly of the steering column wiring and locating the facia mount holes. I forgot I had to repair the door jam holes years ago. No wonder I didn’t understand the interior light switch location.
 I also looked into the micro switch on the e brake shaft, sorry but I like my easy access. I’ll be spending a lot of time under there with all the column connections and testing. Then to tie the harness up.
  Then the engine initial run. Well that’s the plan anyway.

Dakazman

Online dakazman

« Reply #1817 on: Wednesday,November 09, 2022, 01:45:40 PM »
  The temporary fuel supply that is sold does not have the capability of driving the vehicle, it’s an excellent alternative for engine runs.  I continued the stand that can be bolted in with just one nut . I was looking for a wing nut so that it could be done by hand . That’s another mod, along with a shutoff that I do have laying around from numerous pressure washers and lawnmowers .

Sorry for all the dust, but soon it will be all mirrors.

This is only for Temporary engine runs.

Dakazman
« Last Edit: Wednesday,November 09, 2022, 01:48:35 PM by dakazman »

Online dakazman

« Reply #1818 on: Friday,November 18, 2022, 09:35:19 AM »
  I figured, How bad can they be and took an offer for a 45 dcoe carb, Not a Weber. I wanted two but they only had one, the other is now in transit after checking the dimensions, it was a perfect fit and good quality.
   This will be for my crossflow.  Has Anyone else try these?
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #1819 on: Friday,November 18, 2022, 10:18:51 AM »
I have heard that the quality of the Weber copies is spotty at best.

If you are using more than one, you should use matching carbs because one of the things that can differ between even Webers is the position and number of progression holes. The progression holes take care of the transition from the idle circuit and the main circuit which is probably where your car will spend most of its time. I suspect that all of the Webers of a series (referred to as "Typo" on the carb cover) have the same number, size, and position of progression holes but the standard recommendation is that when using more than one, you should not only use them from the same series or "Typo" but from the same batch as well so maybe I assume too much. FYI, the current series or "Typo" for 40 DCOEs is 151. For 45 DCOEs, it's 152. Real Webers are now made in Spain and I'm sure "Typo" is an Italian word so I don't know if a Spanish word is now used in place of "Typo."

I encourage anybody who is using or considering using Weber sidedraft carbs to sign up for https://vintagetechnologygarage.groups.io/g/sidedraft. I've also found the following websites useful:

https://240260280.com/Tech/Carbs/Weber/DCOE%20Theory%20Operation%20and%20Tuning.html
http://www.performanceoriented.com/troubleshooting (even though it is based on down draft applications for Porsches)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoUOcPYqDmU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meaGMoH4Pmw

I've also attached a white paper written by the moderator of the sidedraft group mentioned above. He has designed his own jets and emulsion tubes. I think he knows what he's talking about!

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #1820 on: Friday,November 18, 2022, 10:49:46 AM »
Welcome to the self-flagellation club.  ;)
45's are likely to be unnecessarily difficult to tune for road use.
Chinese 45's may make them even more of an issue.
I've slowly learned that TS conversions have no actual support from Lotus or Renault, so will always be the most difficult path to success.
But I've also concluded that once that success is achieved is may exceed TC street level performance.  ;D
« Last Edit: Friday,November 18, 2022, 06:17:23 PM by Richard48Y »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1821 on: Friday,November 18, 2022, 11:53:39 AM »
A pair of 45DCOEs were the factory choice for the HO crossflows.  Type and jetting is all in the manual and I can dig it up again if you like.  This is for a big valve, large port head with 10.25+ compression and the factory performance cam.  Myself, I went with 40s for more bottom end torque.

Online dakazman

« Reply #1822 on: Friday,November 18, 2022, 04:56:33 PM »
  This head is not a large valve, however I do have another head that I will modify. Taking baby steps for now to get all the hardware in place. It’s only going to get more expensive in the future. I also have a 32dgv carb and manifold for it .  I have not even checked the degree on the cam from Renault 16.

JB, thanks. I probably have the info from the book you recommended and from others. This is not a top priority right now, but I will seek that info later. It’s more collecting parts, I need to buy a fuel pressure regulator also . After buying two sets of 115 piece, m7 bolts from the uk I still need m7 manifold studs for the webers, the bolts were to long for the manifold but worked well for the water pump.
  Getting closer to run the wedge, coolant water added with no leaks. Bled air for radiator and after 3 days maintaining water level.  Now to do the tedious task of climbing under the ash and install the steering wheel and the db10 relay wires, then test. Buy a battery and mount. Finish ac lines. Install windscreen. After that go through the start up list . 
Trying find the time to bring this over the finish line is killing me. I want to thank everyone for helping.
 BDA, thanks for posting as lol the pertinent links on this thread.
Dakazman

« Last Edit: Friday,November 18, 2022, 05:25:43 PM by dakazman »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #1823 on: Friday,November 18, 2022, 06:04:26 PM »
Looking good Dman!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline BDA

« Reply #1824 on: Friday,November 18, 2022, 06:20:04 PM »
Normally Webers are mounted with flex mounts with Thackery washers or cushion and cup washers (r.d. enterprises has them. Go to “Carburetor” and then to “Mounts.”). They keep the fuel from foaming from engine vibration. The “Mounts” page explains how to use them.

Online dakazman

« Reply #1825 on: Friday,November 18, 2022, 06:54:21 PM »
  BDA ,
  Your absolutely correct on the flex mount gasket, the carb just came with paper gaskets . I was just getting all the mount bolts readied.  The dual throttle cable mount may use those bolts also . I’ll have to buy that also.
  The typo and all other marking on the carb are just not there , I’ll post more pics of the carb soon.

Turbo thanks also., funny I found this while researching an alpine r5. See pic  There we’re others too.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #1826 on: Friday,November 18, 2022, 07:00:39 PM »
The cover is distinctive. It’s a copy of the Spanish 45 DCOE 152.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1827 on: Friday,November 18, 2022, 08:41:27 PM »
You can fit large valves and port small valve heads, no problem.  Very, very unlikely a R16 cam will be aggressive enough.  easily reground though.  Just use a pump that puts out the right pressure,  Seen lots of problems with separate pressure regulators.

Offline BDA

« Reply #1828 on: Friday,November 18, 2022, 09:17:47 PM »
Just to make sure - you are taking about fuel pressure regulators, right? I’ve read a lot of complaints on the Interwebs. One guy I know had trouble with his too.

Online dakazman

« Reply #1829 on: Saturday,November 19, 2022, 05:39:09 AM »
  BDA,
   It is definitely a copy , the cover is exactly the same as my Weber 40, except for the names . the metal looks like a different mixture , I’ll see what the internals look like soon.
   Correct , fuel pressure regulator .  I don’t know what pressure the stock mechanical pump on the wedge engine has for its Weber 40.   Then the crossflow has no mechanical pump yet . It even looks like the lobe on the cam is not there.  I’m assuming it had a plunger type regulator and I just can’t see the lift. I’ll put a dial indicator on it soon. 🥱

JB,
 The other head is unmolested and in really good shape, no valves installed but has guides and seats.
That’s on the back burner. I’m also going thru many new sets of valves I picked up from Bert during his move that probably were for his S1 engine.
Dakazman