Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 154461 times)

Offline BDA

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #1755 on: Saturday,September 03, 2022, 07:03:44 PM »
If that's all you got done today, you're probably way ahead of a lot of people! As it is, I cleaned out my office. That was a chore - no Lotus work but it was way overdue!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1756 on: Monday,September 05, 2022, 11:10:08 AM »
    BDA , your just doing some forward thinking by cleaning the office. I try to do it in April when doing my taxes. The shredder doesn’t stop for a week 😂
  Moving along nicely now with the interior. For such a small area it sure does suck up time with little to see.  I’m going to keep chipping away but at least now I can nap on the rug.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #1757 on: Monday,September 05, 2022, 12:41:04 PM »
She's starting to really take shape!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1758 on: Monday,September 05, 2022, 01:00:33 PM »
  Another good thing to come from putting things back together is the space you free up😃
   Setting up the pedals are next , the brake pedal is to far forward and the clutch pedal is jammed.
It’s feels like the pressure plate isn’t giving way.  Before pulling it out I’m going to run the engine, that’s the plan at least.
  I may drop in a seat so I can bleed the brakes before finishing the firewall. More plans for that ahead.🤔🥱
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1759 on: Thursday,September 08, 2022, 03:18:40 PM »
   Routing more wires and finding new homes for the hazards and turn signals bases  wow, trying to remember what I modified six months ago has me shaking my head. Good thing t documented most of my build. I’m talking wire colors used.🥱
 The lower control panel was added an the new home of the hazard and turn signal flashers.

I put off doing the pedals because I’m completely confused in the correct angles. My adjustments are another item I need to revisit.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1760 on: Monday,September 12, 2022, 12:41:32 PM »
  Finished my seats , I had to secure the headrest, mint seat tracks and fabricate the back of the seats.
  I covered aluminum sheet with batting and fabric and screwed the panel to the back frame . I wish I had some decorative screws but at least for now it’s done.  Center console armrest cover now also secured, so that’s another check off my list.
  Finished up mount for the condenser fan . now for the lines and control wire runs . So much work in such a small area . 😀
  Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #1761 on: Monday,September 12, 2022, 02:17:31 PM »
Nicely done, D'man!! :beerchug:

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1762 on: Monday,September 12, 2022, 02:33:07 PM »
Thanks BDA ,
  😅. Working in my garage with the doors shut keeps the temps at a comfortable level in front on my fan . It’s been so humid you can’t see from the sweat running in your eyes . The best part is I don’t get neighbors walking in and talking when I’m under the dash.

Dakazman

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #1763 on: Monday,September 12, 2022, 03:41:53 PM »
 8)
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1764 on: Saturday,September 24, 2022, 05:29:45 PM »
  Went back to the drawing board on my electric heater. I did not like the flow of air comings out of the ducts to the defogger. I replaced the fan with a higher cfm model . I had to modify the box and change the orientation of the heater unit and fan . I also cut another 1/4 inch off the height to make it side in easier and not push up on the windscreen fiberglass.  Now that I got that worked out and tested , I need some advice on adding a 40 amp relay to the side of the box .  I have never installed relays and would like to know what is the better connection or terminal?  I got the wire hookup part .  Solder or crimp?  I probably will use two control switches one for fan and one for heater , heater from console and defogger switch for fan .
  Going over a schematic of the relays for the window motors found it more trouble than it’s worth and probably wouldn’t increase the speed any . I’m running different switches that are in my c3 vette , with no relays and they work fine, GM wiring at its best.

Dakazman

Offline GavinT

« Reply #1765 on: Saturday,September 24, 2022, 10:44:51 PM »
Solder or crimp?
Crikey, Dave, are you trying to restart the war?  ;D

My view is that either is OK provided you have a decent crimping tool or can solder and also that strain relief is adequately considered. Soldering is a bit of a lost art these days and soldering terminals can be tricky to get right.

After many years of soldering terminals, I bit the bullet and bought a decent crimper. Professional crimpers used to be quite spendy but not so much these days. The skinny cheap ones still don't do an adequate job IMO mostly because they're just too skinny for the terminals I prefer. I like the non-insulated open barrel-W terminals which are commonly used on our Lotus. I reckon the cheap insulated terminals are the work of the devil.
After some research, I bought a "Teng" brand crimper and it was a revelation - perfect crimps every time. There's likely other brands that are also excellent but that's what I went with.

I don't really like the terminals you show mainly because they look somewhat untidy and would be a hassle to pull through a grommet, for instance. That said, they'll probably work fine. There's also many varieties of straight in-line connector terminals for joining wires.

Am I right in thinking you need those round terminals to accommodate the pigtail for the relay?
It's also possible to get relay plugs disassembled so that you can separately terminate the wires and then click the terminations into the plastic socket.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

Going over a schematic of the relays for the window motors found it more trouble than it’s worth and probably wouldn’t increase the speed any

I reckon the primary advantage of window relays is to take the load off the near un-obtainium switches.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1766 on: Sunday,September 25, 2022, 03:55:18 PM »
 Hi Gavin,
  I didn’t know about the solder or crimp controversy.
  Thanks for the tip on the relay terminals. I removed mine from the socket and saved the terminals for some soldering, it will clean up the runs.
  I showed the internal components and layout in these pics. It’s still a work in progress but functionally it works off a battery for 30 minutes.
Now to do the control runs. I did buy a bullet crimper but having trouble sorting out the solder and crimp terminals. Don’t ask 🥲 , I tipped over and broke my container of terminals. I purchased some from the UK and some from moss motors. Some of my terminals will not crimp, seems like there to hard .
  I have a wide assortment of terminal ends however it seems I never have the correct one😖
My other switched fuse panel has all solder/crimp terminal ends but since I don’t have the crimper for that I will solder in them individually without any connectors .
  Getting ready for this tropical storm on Wednesday, seems like it will just brush us .
Dakazman

« Last Edit: Sunday,September 25, 2022, 04:11:53 PM by dakazman »

Offline GavinT

« Reply #1767 on: Sunday,September 25, 2022, 08:52:19 PM »
Looking good, Dave.

On the bullet connectors, aren't the OEM Lotus ones soldered?
It's worth noting that many of these ratchet crimping tools have a multitude of interchangeable jaws available which means they should be able to crimp pretty much anything.

I've also experienced some spotty quality with terminals. I got a batch made from rather thinner brass - probably from eBay and ya never really know if they're manufactured in the back room of an apartment in Shenzhen.
They crimp OK but these days I prefer to see them before purchase and for a home gamer like me, buying smaller quantities locally is fine.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1768 on: Sunday,September 25, 2022, 10:17:48 PM »
You’ll need more than one crimper.  I have about 10 but a few are duplicates.  6 sizes of “w” crimps, insulated, un-insulated, spark plug, deutsch, hydraulic crimpers (battery cables), etc.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1769 on: Monday,September 26, 2022, 04:54:06 AM »
 I have many of those also , but my next buy will be the bullet insertion and extraction tool , Moss motors had it in a kit ,but I didn’t need there crimpers , I guess I should have.
 Gavin as far as original lotus bullets , I haven’t noticed any .
Dakazman