Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 154463 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #1335 on: Sunday,January 24, 2021, 04:46:51 PM »
  Thanks MRN,
  I doubt this is a true 1200 BTU. Heater, however I will continue to test. I hardly is hot enough to burn my fingers as does my 1500 w 120 v heat gun. That would melt everything in sight.
  Progress continues with a two hour job of putting on the e-brake control arm and cable... it somehow got routed incorrectly when just in frame . When I took it off to install the body it no way wanted to get hooked up again. Worked it ou and now all good.
   Another was to mount the brake MC pedal bracket that I took off to drop the body. I left one bolt in place into backup plate and it aligned semi easily.
  I’m now searching for three 2 1/2” gate valves to control airflow from the front boot, which I’m using as a mixing chamber for cabin air.  Breaking into three categories, heat, AC, and vent with a single fan. 
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1336 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2021, 05:59:07 PM »
  Making progress on a few items, but the one item completed is the A/C vent louvers cutouts and mounts. Still need to paint the hole edges and do some final trimming. When shut it looks like two ashtrays. Lol.
  My plan b , AC compressor bracket all welded up and ready for final trimming.

Brake MC bracket installed with MC ... now to add the new lines.

Waiting on the intake manifold shipping date, but looking on the bright side I’m focusing on a lot of small jobs instead of starting the engine. Which I need to install some engine mount bolts ... I hate shopping.

Offline BDA

« Reply #1337 on: Tuesday,January 26, 2021, 06:08:06 PM »
Good stuff D’man!  :beerchug:

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1338 on: Friday,January 29, 2021, 04:54:35 PM »
  I need some measurements of the seat assembly in the forward and aft position from window glass in the aft position and from door jamb lock assembly forward.  No need to be exact, ballpark 1/2” .
 Another measurement is the thickness of the crash pad from above gauges.. again to the nearest 1/8”.

It’s been arts and crafts week and little wrenching. Cardboard templates to help guide my cuts.
Heater cut and reconstructed to suit . I’ll need to fabricate something or just weld it up in it’s original housing.
   It seems this week keeps pulling me in ten directions. It’s one battle at a time. I would have added the bolt selection from Lowe’s that had nothing I needed. At least with the pictures I can shop from home next time.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #1339 on: Friday,January 29, 2021, 06:07:20 PM »
Great stuff, D’man! You go, boy!  :beerchug:

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #1340 on: Friday,January 29, 2021, 06:56:34 PM »
Nice. Where is the condensor mounted?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1341 on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 05:43:48 AM »
 Turbo, inside the engine compartment, right side unused fuel tank area. Plan is to vent to trailing arm area with forced fan air.  Receiver dryer will be there also . Lines to evaporator will run thru and into door rocker,   up , aft of front wheel,..into cabin,  near vent and into front boot to connect to evaporator.
  Air into the box area ,.. undetermined at this time.
Dakazman

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #1342 on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 07:08:25 AM »
Nice! Makes sense now.....I have a fuel tank in that spot  ::)
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1343 on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 07:46:47 AM »
Our S1 French lister also ran the cooled air from the back to the front.  He reported significant air warming due to the long ducting through the body.

Why not duct the AC air directly into the rear of the cabin?  Much shorter run.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1344 on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 08:20:26 AM »
Our S1 French lister also ran the cooled air from the back to the front.  He reported significant air warming due to the long ducting through the body.

Why not duct the AC air directly into the rear of the cabin?  Much shorter run.

My short answer, air in your face, using the airflow all ready designed in .
Rear flow! I thought of that, ducting ac air above your head or into doors .  Once I install the bonnet and turn on fan I’ll get a better idea of total airflow , maybe even with windscreen 😃
  I tried to not lose the storage area, and loosing the spare. This way I keep the car looking original. Less the ashtray.🥱😉
  I found my same unit installed like this . See pic.
Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1345 on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 08:44:50 AM »
I designed mine to save the front luggage compartment as well.  Thought long and hard about the rear but twin tanks, fire suppression and a large bottom-sucking, air box eliminated that option.  So I, reluctantly, tossed the spare.  I keep an emergency flat kit in the back with an air pump and sealer.  Bit of a limp-home mode.  I also went with mini-van tires so replacements should be readily available pretty much anywhere.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1346 on: Saturday,January 30, 2021, 09:10:20 AM »
  There are a lot of trade offs . I’ll probably find more along the way..
I studied your build and like it very much.
Pfreen also has a nicely set up system. I found that with the crankshaft driven pulley that is on our cars,why the manufacturer notched the frame. If I elect to do that the belt going to the compressor will sit behind the firewall in it’s original location. Being higher on the engine brings the compressor pulley approximately 1/2 inch into cabin. That’s another work in progress but I’ll figure something out on that panel.
   Another thought is to bleed hot air from front radiator or condenser for heat , other than reverse the cycle.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1347 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 04:45:58 PM »
  Arts and crafts today along with some fine tuning.
I thought I could handle building some louvers for the the ac system without much trouble but found it easier to just cut it out and design and place back in .
 My bracket for the compressor, plan C  where I’ll change the fulcrum point to adjust the belt tension better and place it lower on the engine. Lower is good, less interference with the firewall, but to low hits frame.
  Bracket swivels made to find the exact point to adjust the belt.
Pictures of the routing of the ac hose access to rocker panel and Babcock into cabin and up to bonnet area.
  Another location to settle on is the windscreen washer .

Anyone have a dimension on the crash pad? I’m getting ready to glass it over since ordering one from the UK put it over my limit. 199euro, but with 250 shipping...wtf.
Dakazman

Dakazman

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #1348 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 04:52:18 PM »
Who were you buying the crashpad from, Banks?  $250 shipping is not normal, I hope.  I have been buying parts recently from England and it was nowhere near that much.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1349 on: Friday,February 05, 2021, 06:11:10 PM »
  Hi Paul , I had to do some digging but it was from Paul Matty back in October 23, 2020
Price was  L150. Plus VAT and like I said shipping which was more than the part due to the size.
 Still cannot find the attachment but I’ll keep looking.
  I believe SJS has a pad also , so I have some options, I’ll also check with banks.
Dakazman