Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 154525 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #375 on: Friday,October 19, 2018, 02:10:00 PM »
Your wiring harness is a work of art D-man! Beautiful, but intimidating! As I recall you do/did aircraft wiring for a living. Did you include any innovations or upgrades over the original design, like extra wires for fog lights or a back-up camera, or heavier gauge wire for up-rated components? Would this pass FAA inspection?  :beerchug:
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline dakazman

« Reply #376 on: Friday,October 19, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »
 Lol
Definitely FAA inspection, just the basics now. Wire size , color, improvements all later. I will also add the battery and all components to it.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #377 on: Saturday,October 20, 2018, 05:53:30 PM »
Going over the federal s2 print and I did find some flaws in the db10 relay somewhat minor but could add to your trouble shooting if looking for the reason your rear hazards aren’t working. The second can be added simply with a footnote on the wire junction plug stating all junctions are 8” away from db10 and the second is dB 10 term 3 and 7do not show a junction which is as pictured. I also noted that on the other prints for the special and others that have this relay db10 term 4 does not show the junction, but I cannot verify there is one , but it’s only logical.

Another minor note is the hazard relay black wire is actually green/brown out of relay plug with a junction to black.

Dakazman

« Last Edit: Sunday,October 21, 2018, 02:47:36 AM by dakazman »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #378 on: Sunday,October 21, 2018, 05:25:43 PM »
 I’m going cross eyed looking at this schematic but nearing the end of checking  item ,run color and double checking these finds. I need to pass some of these points out there. Feel free to check into these and maybe we can verify them correct as an original harness goes. Also for workability.

The need to add the window washer pump and switch to the federal s2? Consisting of the blue/red and a black ground wire to momentary push button switch to a power source ..not attached on my harness correctly bc I believe the po hooked up two grounds to the switch one red and one black.

The brake fluid level sensor red/black wire has a junction behind dash is not documented on schematic, and for clarity add a short ground legend instead of running it all the way to a chassis ground on the other side of the sheet. Just my 2cents.

The interior light pink/black wire to junction block , marked on sheet needs to have the corresponding side to be labeled “PW” .

Lastly is a question about the courtesy light switches, are they door jamb switches?

I will rearrange the mock-up board and add some other items that I have laying around. Hope I can find a buzzer in the boxes that came with the car.

JB and BDA I will use a tear reduction starter but I just wanted to put a starter on the board.

Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #379 on: Sunday,October 21, 2018, 09:05:55 PM »
PW is Purple White, not Pink White.

No Europa came with an electric washer pump.  Easy to add but the wee manual pump works well, too.

Yes, courtesy light switches are in the door-jam.  There is also a switch on the lamp itself.

Tear-reduction... I like it !

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #380 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 03:41:13 AM »
You do good work Dakazman! I had never thought of putting the wiring on a board to trace out. Will remember that. I have 8x blow ups made of the wiring diagrams and mount them on foam core so they are easy to read and handle.

Yes on the gear reduction starters. I have one in each of my cars.

I had to replace the door jam courtesy light switches as mine had rusted. RD has them, although they have a different thread size (which isn’t an issue unless your building a concours car for judging).

Offline BDA

« Reply #381 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 06:10:41 AM »
Minor correction to JB's post. I believe the TCs had electrical washer pumps. At the least, the Specials had them - mine did.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #382 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 06:31:24 AM »
Thanks JB , the washer pouch looked original , see pictures, however the wires were not in the originally wrapped harness and i show it entering thru the firewall grommet. Another decision to make as too keep or toss. If I keep I will correctly add into harness and document on a addendum to to schematic.
   Yes I said pink/white, purple/white , PW still needs to be added as clarification what color wire your looking for when hooking up the PB term.

Certified, where on the jamb does the switch go ? See pictures dash/switch/wire run from aft forward?

Dave

Offline dakazman

« Reply #383 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 06:34:10 AM »
Thanks BDA, I’ll look into that schematic. I just post a pic of the wash bag.

Dave

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #384 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 07:05:47 AM »
That's an aftermarket washer switch, US supply.

Thanks for the correction with regard to the specials.  Makes sense as they had the more modern switch gear with all the functions controlled by column stalks.

Can't help with the door switch as I have an early car.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #385 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 07:29:21 AM »
Feeling a little dumb here, but is the OEM washer a manual pump activated by pushing inwards on the right side column stalk? I've never driven my car in the rain or filled the washer reservoir, so that's news to me. Every day is a learning experience.

Just a thought, if that is the case, a neat upgrade would be a cheap pressure switch connected to the stalk pump to switch on an electric washer pump, probably through a relay.

Tom

[Correction] Oops, I missed BDA's post. Yes, I think my TCS has an electric pump also.
« Last Edit: Monday,October 22, 2018, 07:39:02 AM by surfguitar58 »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #386 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 08:23:02 AM »
The TCS (and probably the TC) uses the Spitfire signal/wiper stalks. You push on the stalk to squirt the washer and the wipers are multi speed and "intermittent" - when you push up on the stalk, the wipers cycle once. They are actually pretty nice.

Offline gideon

« Reply #387 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 08:28:46 AM »
For the record, 1265R (type 65, built '71) had an electric washer pump behind the dashboard.  From memory, the wiring looked original and was wrapped in the harness, unlike the couple of obvious electrical modifications made by the PO which were amateurish and used all red wire of the wrong gauge. 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #388 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 08:36:48 AM »
All Europas used "Triumph" column switches.  Only the specials used the later, plastic multi-switches.

Might have been neatly done but no S2s came with an electric washer pump.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #389 on: Monday,October 22, 2018, 08:49:12 AM »

Just a thought, if that is the case, a neat upgrade would be a cheap pressure switch connected to the stalk pump to switch on an electric washer pump, probably through a relay.

Interesting, as I read this thread I was thinking how cool it would be to convert my Special from electric to manual pump. ;)

How well do the manual pumps work? Are they difficult to operate? I'm going to have to look into these.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor